ArcGIS data connection for Power BI

08-18-2017 09:39 AM
YoavRappaport
Occasional Contributor

Create a data connector to ArcGIS Online feature services from Power BI. This would allow the reading of tabular data from hosted feature services either in public or preferably in organization layers.

10 Comments
BrettShaver

This would be a fantastic functionality that our organization needs

EricO_Neal1

The query function returns JSON, so you can do this already.  Create a blank query and use:

let
Source = Json.Document((Web.Contents("http://YOURFEATURESERVICE/x/query?where=1%3D1&t...&f=pjson&token=xxx")))
in
Source

Then convert to table and expand list fields.

DavidCresp

This feature is really badly needed. Being able to connect to data in our corporate layers is the big missing part of this visual. You can do it in MapBox Power BI visual, why can't we do it in our corporate Esri system. Please, please bring this in.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Open

RodrigoLama

Necesitamos esta característica  urgente. Siempre somos los últimos en tener estas entradas a Microsoft.

WilliamBernis

SI alguien me puede ayudar con este tema le quedo totalmente agradecido, tengo un survey que necesito conectarlo a Power BI pero aún no lo logro.

RodrigoLama

Forget about connecting with powerbi for the moment, ESRI, wants us to use their product "Operation Dashboard" that after giving me to him, I am quite enchanted with everything that can be done.

Billy
by

This functionally is badly need. Operational Dashboard covers some of the functionality that PowerBI offers but not all of them. For example accessing Arcgis Online/Enterprise layer's data when creating a PowerBI paginated report will be great feature for people that already use these reports.  

IsadeMorais

Indeed it is very important to have that feature!!

TimMinter

Yes, need "easy button" for adding primary data tables that include geospatial geometry columns to Power BI, much like Tableau, ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, and other geospatially capable software can do.  I would love it if Esri can make this happen via the "ArcGIS Maps for Power BI" visualization thingy.  There is a hint in the "ArcGIS for Power BI" documentation (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/get-started/prepare-your-data.htm) that "EsriJSON" might be a way to do this, but I have yet to find any workable details on how to do it.  Everything I've tried so far over the last several days results in, "Oh, nuh-uh," including @EricO_Neal1 's example above.  I realize that Power BI does not understand SQL Server Spatial (weird, right?), so I'm hoping that Esri can provide a way to keep the data together, including coordinates.  Is it really EsriJSON as the help suggests?  If yes (-ish, I realize there are constraints), then how?