Allow ArcGIS for Power BI visual when publish Power BI report to web (or embedded)

12-08-2020 10:26 AM
UnderstandFast
New Contributor III

ArcGIS for Power BI is a helpful visual... except it is not allowed in publish to web or in Power BI embeded.

This is a problem for public-facing reports, which are often based on public-facing open data, such as provided by government organizations.

Idea is to allow ArcGIS Maps for Power BI when Power BI publish to web and Power BI Embedded.

This page has an example of what happens when a Power BI report is designed with ArcGIS Maps for Power BI, and then published to web.

Tags (2)
7 Comments
JonEmch

Good news! This functionality has been added: Publish to web

UnderstandFast

Awesome! Great to see this was added sometime in December 2020 or January 2021! 

Previously this Power BI documentation page said ArcGIS for Power BI was not available for "Power BI publish to web" or "Power BI Embedded" functions - now the page says these functions are available, with a caveat: "Yes, for designers signed in to a valid ArcGIS account with the appropriate add-on license. Consumers do not need the add-on license to view published content."

I believe this means that the required Esri license is a "ArcGIS for Power BI Premium App License" to publish ArcGIS content from Power BI to the web.

JonEmch

@UnderstandFast , not so! There has been a change in licensing that allows any appropriate ArcGIS user to publish out to web, see here. The PowerBI Premium license is defunct.

However, to publish a map enabled you do need to be a PowerBI Pro user, again all of this is in the doc above. Please let me know if I can further assist!

Kate447

Hi @JonEmch , related clarifying question: If I was a Power BI Pro user, would I be able to publish to web with data in the location field rather than only lat/lon? (I need a public-facing choropleth map, so filled polygons for US counties, and can do great in Desktop but cannot publish this to the web since it has the counties in the Location field.) Or is that just impossible across the board? (And if so, why? Should I make a separate Idea for that?)

JonEmch

@Kate447 

Currently, only Latitude and Longitude points are accepted for publish to web workflows regardless of license type. I would appreciate it if you could log the idea and let me know where it is when you do.

Kate447

@JonEmch here it is! Is the implication, then, that there isn't a non-flexible reason it is currently unavailable? it just isn't yet supported, but it could be?

JonEmch

@Kate447 I can't speak for the product team, but I will say that the Product Team is aware of this limitation. There is an existing Enhancement in the works that addresses this issue: ENH-000137246: Allow the ability to publish map enabled reports to web that are symbolized based on standard boundaries. Please log a case with Esri Tech Support and request that you account be added to this issue. This way, you will be able to see what the status is of the defect.

Additionally, once you submit your idea I will be able to link these two together to better the strength of both.

Please let me know if you have any questions.