Plus subscriptions for ArcGIS Maps for Power BI are now available!

11-14-2017 07:00 AM
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor
3 13 2,868

With the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI visual Esri has delivered great value into Microsoft Power BI. Starting today you can get even more content, capabilities, and value with a Plus subscription.

Images showing features of the Plus subscription

What's included?

When you become a Plus subscriber, you'll gain access to:

• More basemaps (including satellite imagery, topographic, and more for a total of 12 basemaps you can use in the visual).
  • More geocoding. Plus subscribers can geocode 5,000 addresses per map (up from 1,500 for everyone else).
  • Esri's Living Atlas, a browse-able collection of global reference layers.
  • Thousands of global infographics showing demographics and spending patterns. 

What happens when I share a map with Plus features?

A Plus subscription is required to author and view maps with Plus content. If you share a map with Plus content with someone who is not a Plus subscriber, they will not be able to view the map until they also become a Plus subscriber. When authoring a map, keep an eye out for the Plus icon - it will help you know if you're adding content that can only be seen by other Plus subscribers.

How do you get it?

You'll notice a new icon in your map visual starting today. Click on the 'Sign up' button inside this new icon to go to the Esri site where you can enter your contact and credit card information. After successfully signing up for Plus you will get 60 days free. Your new Plus subscription will be $5/month after the free 60 day period. 

13 Comments
VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

Is Plus subscription button being deployed in phases? I am not seeing it yet. Canada Central region in case this is on a CDN.

ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Vitaly - we are checking with Microsoft right now to see what may be causing the issue. I'll reply back once we have an answer for you.

VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

Thanks Scott. We got the Plus button this morning and attempted to subscribe for the trial. Getting "There was an issue adding your payment information; please try again!" error message though after filling in the form at billing.arcgis.com/powerbi. What's the best channel to troubleshoot this through?

YoavRappaport
Occasional Contributor

I'm able to see the button.

(1) What happens if I have the Plus subscription and deploy a map with no plus subscription content to those that do not have Plus subscription? Will they be able to see the map at all? I'm concerned that if I have Plus I will no longer be able to publish maps to those without Plus (currently my entire user base).

(2) What happens if I have the Plus subscription and deploy a map with plus subscription content to those that do not have Plus subscription? will they be able to see a default basemap that is not Plus subscription, or will the map will not be available at all? Do we then need to publish two versions of the map, one for those with Plus and one for those without?

Thanks,

ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Vitaly, I'm glad it showed up for you. Still not sure why it didn't show up immediately - Microsoft confirmed that it was deployed to your local CDN. They suggest it could have been a caching issue.  I'm investigating this new issue. Will respond back when I have more information.

ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Yoav - good questions. 

1. A Plus subscriber can absolutely create maps that can be used by people who don't have plus subscriptions. As long as no Plus content (denoted by the new silver Plus icon) is added to the map, it will be view-able by all. 
  2. If a Plus subscriber adds Plus content to a map, the viewer must also have a Plus subscription. If the person attempting to view a map with Plus content does not have a Plus subscription, they will see a blocking message telling them the map has Plus content and they need to become a subscriber to see the contents of the map. 

More info on Plus here: About Plus—ArcGIS Maps for Power BI | ArcGIS 

VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

Scott Ball, how would post-trial billing work in enterprise scenarios? Would there be centralized organizational setup of some sort that would eliminate the need for each user to provide a credit card? Can a Plus subscription piggy-back on existing ArcGIS organizational accounts and/or Azure tenants and be centrally managed from there?

I've checked Sign up for Plus—ArcGIS Maps for Power BI | ArcGIS and it did not seem to cover this topic. Please let me know if there is a document that does.

ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently there is no option for centralized organization setup - but that is something we are looking at. We recognize the need for some kind of organizational bulk-purchase option so each Plus user doesn't have to manually input cc info. Our plan over time is to have options for all organizations, large and small, ones that are new to mapping or ones that have existing GIS departments. To that end, eventually some variation of the following options will be available:

Free

Individual Plus

Organizational Plus

Sign-in with existing ArcGIS accounts (ArcGIS Online or Enterprise) 

We aren't announcing timelines for all of these capabilities at this time, but hopefully knowing the direction we're heading will be useful. 

VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

Ok. Also getting a generic "There was an issue processing your request, please try again." trying to add payment via the Manage Account page. Please advise once you have a solution.

ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

The team has asked that you try to clear your browser cache and try again. If that doesn't work, email me at sball at esri dot com and we'll try to get it sorted out.

KrishV
by
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to know when Arcgis Publish to web functionality will be available.

VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

I was able to sign up for Plus from another computer last night. Thanks!

MaximPak
New Contributor

Hi there, 

Just signed up for the Plus to test if it would affect the drive time/radius limits, being 30min/100miles respectfully, but apparently, it didn't. 

Wondering if there is a plan to increase those? I'm using ArcGIS visual in Power BI for supply chain analysis purpose, and we constantly face problems where we need to test different warehouse locations against the geo-plotted data. In the U.S. distribution scenario, we are more willing to test larger driving polygons (12hr-ish) or radiuses (500 mile-ish) in order to understand which location covers the largest number of customers or total volume.

Thanks, 

Max

About the Author
Scott is a product manager working to make the power of geography accessible to everyone. He works on the ArcGIS Online team and works closely with the Public Safety team.