Update points in AGOL from updated Excel (ArcGIS for Office)

12-06-2020 06:23 PM
UnderstandFast
New Contributor III

Hello, I had some data in Excel, used ArcGIS for Office to share it to ArcGIS Online.

After creating web maps, web apps, story map with this data, I found some errors in the data.

I can correct the data in ArcGIS Online, but I don't think that I can change the point locations in ArcGIS Online?

So I corrected the data in Excel, and I can create a new web map from it, but want I'd like to do is update the existing content in ArcGIS Online, based on the updates in Excel. Is this possible?

Example of bad data: Fremont (city) has a point in Fremont, Virginia; it is supposed to be in Fremont, California. I corrected this in Excel, and when I share to ArcGIS Online it is correct; but it's new content in ArcGIS Online, so it does not update the exiting shared maps/apps.

5 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello there!

Thank you for sending out your question. Essentially, you are able to update an already shared dataset in Maps for Office. To do so, I took my sample data, and inserted a row ensuring that whatever field I used to georeference my data was filled. Once this was finished, you should be able to see that the maps for office visual update to include the latest addition. There was a temporary moment where it Share button did not switch over to "Update" but once I pushed it, the update workflow took over.

TLDR: you should be able to add/updated rows to an already published set of data granting that the column(s) used for georeferencing are properly filled.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
UnderstandFast
New Contributor III

Thank you! What if the goal is not to add a row, but only to update columns within a row? When I tried before, I was not able to get that to work.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for replying.

It appears that you are correct, this does not allow the updating of data in Maps for Office. Even when I tried to "trick" it by adding a new row, the point did not update. I would recommend logging a support case with us so that we can log this behavior.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
UnderstandFast
New Contributor III

Thank you, @JonEmch - I created a case.

UnderstandFast
New Contributor III

It appears to work now!

I just tried it again... and could not replicate the issue. I created a small table in Excel, a map via ArcGIS Maps for Office, shared to ArcGIS Online, then tried different iterations of changing location and/or attributes in Excel, confirming updated in the ArcGIS Map for Office, updating to ArcGIS Online, then seeing the update in ArcGIS Online.

It appears to me that what did not work when I created the GeoNet item - and then created the support case - has since been resolved. This is great news!