make choropleth ZIP map in Excel plugin v2022.1

02-23-2023 01:44 PM
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

Hello.  We have a very important workflow we do all the time in the previous versions of the ArcGIS for Office plugins.  I finally had to get a new computer, and installed foung out we CANNOT use the new "Office 365" version of the Excel plugin, so we have to use the legacy 2022.1 version.

This version does not seem to support our workflow for making quick choropleth maps from ZIP data.

Previously, we could add a new "location type" in the old plugin, and select the ESRI ZIP shapes from the browser, and then select that new location type and make the map.

There seems to be no way to add to location types in the new 2022.1 plugin?

Am I missing something?  Anybody know the workflow now? If we can authorization to run the Office365 version, does it support the workflow I mentioned?

(Yes, I know I can go into AGOL, upload a table of my ZIP data, and then do a JOIN to the ZIP outlines, but this is very time-consuming and inconvenient for my users.)

Any help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayLarsen

I figured out the workflow myself. It actually makes sense, but is way different than the old way.

This plugin version has a drop-down menu for location type, so select "Geography". Then select 2022 ZIP Codes. This defaults weirdly to USA_Country, so change it back to USA_ZIP_Code. Then select the next drop-down selector for "ZIP Code" which is the field in the geography layer to bind to the ZIP column in your excel data.  Weirdly, it forces you to turn it into a pivot table, and then select the column to style by.

So, I can use it. But turning it into a pivot table clobbers the labels, which is not great.

If I can get using the Office365 version, I hope it is better? Or at least as good?

So, I don't have to try and make a support case with ESRI! But if anybody has more knowledge or comments, please reply as I'd love to get them.

0 Kudos
JayLarsen

Actually, the "turning it into a pivot table" thing is critical problem.  We often make large custom tables, with ZIP the first column, and the name of a location the rest of the columns.  That way with one table upload, we can do a style for each column--huge timesaver.  The nonsense pivot table destroys this ability. Is there a way to avoid making the pivot table--as there used to be before the AppSource and 2022.1?

The alternative workflow is load the excel file table up to AGOL, make it service, put it in a map, then do a JOIN with ZIP layer. But this is a lot more typing and fussing than it used to be, and quite time-consuming.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Gaurav-Singh
Esri Contributor

The latest version of  "ArcGIS for Office" will now be called "ArcGIS for Excel" (A4Excel). A4Excel does not automatically generate a pivot table when you add a polygons layer to the map. We encourage you to give A4Excel a try and experience the improved functionality for yourself. 

ArcGIS for Excel (2022.2) is offered as Software as a Service, with no more local managed installers required to install the s/w. ArcGIS for Excel is only available to download from the Microsoft store. Please check this doc link on how to 'Get the ArcGIS for Excel'

Please post ArcGIS for Excel related questions in this channel

ArcGIS for Excel Team
JayLarsen

Actually I did d/l the A4Excel on my home setup:  work does not allow appsource!!!  But it was pretty cool, it worked with my private "home" Office365 auth, and this was on my Mac!!!  Blew my mind.  I will experiment more...but my biggest problem is what do at work for my users and myself. Thanks!