How to retain color and symbology when editing maps in Excel

04-18-2019 12:18 PM
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

I currently have a spreadsheet with various locations in Excel, tied to a map in the spreadsheet using Maps for Office.  I have the locations symbolized by color based on a field called "Status" in the spreadsheet, with "Status" restricted to a list of options that I've defined.

My problem is that, when I change the value of "Status" for an entry in my spreadsheet, my symbology and color scheme in the map reverts to the default.  I lose all of my symbols and color codes I've made to represent the different possible values for "Status."  Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Good Afternoon Konrad, 

Thank you for your question. I am hoping to help offer further assistance. In the meantime, can you confirm the version of Maps for Office you are currently using?

Best, 

Shannon | Product Engineer

0 Kudos
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for assistance. It is version 5.0.0.805.

0 Kudos
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

Has there been any progress? I have reinstalled the most recent Maps for Office plugin and still experience the problem.

0 Kudos
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Hi Konrad, I do not have an update yet but have this on my radar for this week. I will be posting an update here. Thank you for your patience! 

0 Kudos
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Hi Konrad, 

I was hoping you could confirm if these are similar steps in your workflow:

1. Open an Excel spreadsheet
  2. Add Map from the ArcGIS Maps tab
  3. Select Excel data from the map viewer
  4. Insert Table (or data)
  5. Change Map theme to Counts and amounts, select add data
  6. In the style tab, deselect Cluster Points
  7. Select Layer Styling
  8. Keep the defaults, but choose a new color scheme via the Advanced Options menu
  9. Observer the behavior of the bug

There may be a few steps missing here but I was hoping you could fill those in for me. This will help paint a clearer picture of the behavior so we can try to reproduce this?

Thank you, 

SC

0 Kudos
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

Step 5 would be to make the map theme Types (unique symbols)

Step 8 would be to change the color scheme and symbols using the Basic menu

Then right after Step 8, change the data in the map’s source spreadsheet and observe the bug.

ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning Konrad,

We will be addressing this issue. Thank you for logging this issue with our Technical Support team and for bringing this to our attention! 

Best, 

SC

0 Kudos
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Hi again, now that I think about it, can you call Technical Support to get a case started? This will be beneficial for tracking and testing purposes. 

Support Services can be reached by calling 1-888-377-4575. Please let me know if this is not an option. 

Best, 

SC

0 Kudos