Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't add layers from AGO in ArcGIS for Excel

a month ago
DerekMStrout
Occasional Contributor

Hi Community,

I have used this add-in before, but now I'm not able to add any of my content from AGO to a workbook. I can see my layers, but when selecting the layer or choosing to "Add attribute table to Excel...", I just keep getting prompted to login to AGO (I already am). I am able to add public AGO layers and layers from the Living Atlas. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Good morning @DerekMStrout , Thank you for reaching out. I have not experienced this issue. Can you try a few troubleshooting ideas please?

1. Clear browser cache and attempt the same workflow using the same workbook

2. Try the same workflow using a different Excel workbook 

Please let me know your findings. 

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
DerekMStrout
Occasional Contributor

Hi @ShannonCardoza. I have been trying to use the add-in with Excel desktop (many different fresh workbooks), but I just tried it in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge with the same issue.

Two things I just noticed may indicate it's an issue with the layer itself.

1. When I first sign in to ArcGIS for Excel and search for my content, I see 2,429 items. But if I apply a filter like 'Feature layers' and then clear that filter, I am still left with just 246 items. This subset does not include the layer I am interested in. Are there layer settings required that I have overlooked? This is just a simple 157-point hosted feature layer tagged as Authoritative, with editing disabled and Export Data enabled.

2. The original spreadsheet was created from a Microsoft Form that accepted long form responses. Some resulting cells then have 3,000+ characters. The information displays fine in AGO, but could this be causing a problem when trying to view in Excel?

Thanks,
Derek

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Hey there @DerekMStrout, Nice investigating! Let me answer by questions, see below - 

1. I could not reproduce the issue you referenced with filtering. For example, I have 67 items, I filtered by 'Feature layers' which gave me a count of 52, and then selected the clear filter button and the count went back to 67. As for layer settings, this would be managed in ArcGIS Online. I suspect this is specific to the layer and my guess is the 'authoritative' tag. Designated items tagged as authoritative have their own set of rules. See Designate items as authoritative for more. 

2. For this issue, this could very well be a cause. I personally have not used Microsoft Forms. We may also be experiencing an unknown limitation if the resulting cells can have 3,000+ characters. I would need to test this further. Do you have a sample subset of data to share?

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos