Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS for Excel, view related tables from Survey123

Jump to solution
07-18-2023 07:01 AM
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

I have the ArcGIS for Excel add in connected to my organization Portal environment. 

The goal is to have access to Survey123 submissions in excel.

My surveys have repeats, resulting in additional tabs. 

When I connect to the feature service, I do not get the additional tabs with the repeats/related information. 

Is there a way to configure viewing the additional tabs with ArcGIS for excel?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

This topic is logged as an Enhancement request. For reference, see ENH-000160946.

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer

View solution in original post

6 Replies
sail81
by
New Contributor

I guess I'm not clear on how repeats work. From the description (haven't played with them) it just sounded like you were C&P a block of repeated questions. What I am hoping to achieve is a record for each boom (67), a record for the boat gate (1), and a record for each wing anchor (2). The S123 tutorial I ran through just produced one really long record for a single survey, so I don't know, nor can I tell from googling, if multiple recs can be produced from a single survey. I am hoping to stay away from related tables. When I utilized related tables in my last inspection/repair project, to complete an inspection with a photo in a rel tbl, and then hop out to the fc and change an attribute and then update - it took like 1.5 - 2 minutes https://mobdro.bio/ . When I killed the relationship and just had on fc, the process took like 30 seconds - granted I did eliminate some of the collection requirements, i.e. no dates. I can auto populated inspection dates on the post processing side. The relationship is rekindled in Access where storage and reporting takes place.

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Hello @MelissaSalich, thank you for the question. I have a few questions. 

1. How are you connecting to the feature service? (+AGOL > Feature service from Org)

2. When you say additional tabs, are you referring to these?

Snag_e87a687.png

3. Lastly, the 'submissions' you mentioned coming from Survey 123 are generated in an Excel sheet? If I understand that correctly can you share a sample?

I look forward to your reply. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

All the best, 

Shannon

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

Hi Shannon, 
I am connecting to the feature service through our Portal connection, using the +AGOL button, then navigating to the feature service saved in a folder.

Yes, additional tabs within excel. 

The submissions are records submitted using S123 field app.

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

@MelissaSalich I attempted to replicate your workflow using Survey 123. I have two thoughts. The additional tabs may not be recognized because the data isn't exported as a table. The other thought is to try to organize related layers in a map, you can create group layers in the Layers pane. See Create and Manage group layers 

Have you opened a support case by chance to work with an analyst?

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

Having to export the data defeats the purpose of connecting to the Portal. We would like to have a dynamic connection to the S123 data.

The data does not come though even when grouped. 

I have worked with Esri Support but it did not lead to a solution. 
Seems it's a software limitation at the moment. 

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

This topic is logged as an Enhancement request. For reference, see ENH-000160946.

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer