Viewing ArcGIS Images to Vanilla AutoCAD

04-21-2021 10:10 AM
TuRK_182
New Contributor II

AutoCAD 2021 using ArcGIS for AutoCAD 400.1.

After capturing the map imagery to the drawing screen which works great now, I want to share the drawing with another user using plain vanilla AutoCAD and the image does not appear. I am assuming it is because that person's AutoCAD does not have ArcGIS for AutoCAD installed. If that is the case, is there a way to make the map I create available to other users, or do all my drafting stations require the ArcGIS for AutoCAD tool? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Hi! You are correct, you would need to have ArcGIS for AutoCAD installed on all machines to see the dynamic map service when sharing a drawing. If you would like to share a map with someone who does not have ArcGIS for AutoCAD you need to first "extract" the map or image layer in ArcGIS for AutoCAD. Do so by right clicking the layer in the toc and selecting "extract". This will create a raster snapshot of the map that can be saved and shared within the drawing to a non ArcGIS for AutoCAD user. Note that it will be saved as an xref'd image so you will also need to share the image file with them. 

TuRK_182
New Contributor II

thank you for the information. I will try this out when I get the chance. 

0 Kudos