Why are expressions not available in Field maps SmartForms?

Jump to solution
10-12-2021 03:04 AM
bogrevy
Esri Contributor

I have created some expressions in my layers pop-up. They work fine, and it also works fine from e.g. the Field Maps Android-app where these expressions are presented to the user in the rigtht  way.

But when I try to edit the smart form in the Field Maps (in the portal), my expressions are not available to drag into the form. Only the attributes from the "real fields/columns" are available.

Is there a way to use the expressions in my smart form?

I am using version 10.8.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The from is designed for data entry and is completely separate from the pop-up. The pop-up, moving forward, is just for displaying data (though if you don't have a form, it will be used for editing for backwards compatibility).

Since the purpose of the form is to improve efficiency when collecting data, expressions for display purposes are not supported. There is on-going work to support "calculated values" (expressions that will populate the value of a field). You can join the Early Adopter program to get notified when it will be available for testing in ArcGIS Online.

If you do need view-only expressions in the context of editing, can you elaborate on your use-cases?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The from is designed for data entry and is completely separate from the pop-up. The pop-up, moving forward, is just for displaying data (though if you don't have a form, it will be used for editing for backwards compatibility).

Since the purpose of the form is to improve efficiency when collecting data, expressions for display purposes are not supported. There is on-going work to support "calculated values" (expressions that will populate the value of a field). You can join the Early Adopter program to get notified when it will be available for testing in ArcGIS Online.

If you do need view-only expressions in the context of editing, can you elaborate on your use-cases?

0 Kudos
bogrevy
Esri Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. It makes sense to reduce info in collecting-mode.

Maybe the use-case is the other way around. It could be nice to have the conditional visibility when displaying data, as well as the opportunity to use expressions.

0 Kudos