Unable to snap line to existing line in map

Jump to solution
01-27-2021 10:57 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Update after toggling snapping off and back on in the user settings I was able to get it to snap to an existing line vertex. In order for the snap to work it looks like you have to be zoomed in quite far on the map. This isn't ideal since we are collecting data during aerial surveys. At what scale or zoom level should snapping work. In the desktop environment you can be zoomed out quite far, but still get the snapping capability? Thanks!

Hi,

We are migrating our surveys from using ArcGIS Collector to Field Maps. We have been unable to get snapping to work. It is enabled in the user settings. When I click to collect a line near an existing line I do not see any snapping (orange points) show in the map. Other surveyors have also not been able to snap.

Are there are settings in the web map settings or reference layers that also need to be set?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kathy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixPower
Esri Contributor

Hi @kmsmikrud,

Snapping activates at a scale 1:10000. Unfortunately there isn't anyway to change this as it is hard coded at the app level. 

Regards,

Alix

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlixPower
Esri Contributor

Hi @kmsmikrud,

Snapping activates at a scale 1:10000. Unfortunately there isn't anyway to change this as it is hard coded at the app level. 

Regards,

Alix

kmsmikrud

Hi Alix,

I appreciate the information on the scale, this is useful to know and share with others, but unfortunate it can't be changed to a smaller scale. Is there a way to know what scale you are at in the map similar to desktop GIS software but within the Field Maps app?

Can you tell me if there are any plans to implement the trace function in creating lines within Field Maps? This would be much more useful than snapping in some survey areas.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

I haven't received a reply from @AlixPower , is there someone else on the Field Maps development team that could reply on the feasibility of adjusting the snap scale in Field Maps?   @Anonymous User ?

One of the biologists relayed yesterday that in Collector he was able to snap at smaller scales than now in Field Maps. If users can't current delineate freehand lines or trace please allow snapping at smaller scales. For aerial surveys the scale of 1:10000 is way to zoomed in and not useable. We are trying to make it work for our aerial surveys, but ...

Hi @AlixPower , 

Its been a year since this post, but would Field Maps team consider allowing snapping at smaller scales than 1:10000. We use Field Maps for aerial surveys and this scale is very zoomed in on the map and so the snapping feature is not very useful with the current scale. If its hard coded couldn't this be changed? Also again is trace feature an option in the near future?

The current vertex to vertex lines are so very awful and tedious for folks trying to use the app in the plane.

Thanks,

Kathy