Unable to add point at crosshairs

Jump to solution
01-26-2023 01:04 PM
Caitlin
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I'm running into an issue with field maps where I can add a point at my location (GPS) but if I move the cross hairs to a manual location, the button to add/update the point greys out and I can't add/update. 

It only appears to be an issue with point layers, I can add a polygon to my polygon layer no problem. It also doesn't seem to be an issue with a map I have that uses an offline area. The current map I'm troubleshooting is connected to the server so that the layer changes are automatically updated.

I'm not sure if this is something I have to change in terms of settings, or if it's some sort of bug. Any advice would be appreciated! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Caitlin
New Contributor III

I opened a case with Esri and we found a solution. The issue was that my point layer was z-aware but there wasn't a default z-value enabled. Using the GPS location created a z-value, but attempting to manually choose the location would not create a z-value. 

I had to go onto my map service on the server and change a setting to enable a default z-value. Here is a link to the steps I followed as provided by my very helpful Esri representative:

Configure default z-values. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a similar issue. I can only create points to my GPS location, cannot move the location manually, or the buttons grey out. I created a copy of the existing web map using the Python API; the original map seems to work. I wonder if I'm missing some settings.

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

  

web_map_properties_dict = {
    "type": wm_props["type"],
    "title": wm_props["title"] + "_CLONE_WEB_MAP",
    "snippet": wm_props["snippet"],
    "tags": wm_props["tags"],
    "description": wm_props["description"],
    "commentsEnabled": wm_props["commentsEnabled"],
    "text": web_map_data,
    'typeKeywords': wm_props["typeKeywords"],
    "access": wm_props["access"]
}

web_map_item = gis.content.add(
    item_properties=web_map_properties_dict,
    owner=args.owner,
    folder=args.folder)

0 Kudos
Caitlin
New Contributor III

I opened a case with Esri and we found a solution. The issue was that my point layer was z-aware but there wasn't a default z-value enabled. Using the GPS location created a z-value, but attempting to manually choose the location would not create a z-value. 

I had to go onto my map service on the server and change a setting to enable a default z-value. Here is a link to the steps I followed as provided by my very helpful Esri representative:

Configure default z-values. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any idea how the z values are configured in JSON format? And does this mean that the feature service has some default z-values or the web map?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I figured it out. We need to set the following values in the feature service: zDefault and enableZDefault. In the below, I set them from an existing feature service's JSON, but you can also use the following: zDefault = 0 and enableZDefault = true.

pprint(feature_layer_collection.manager.update_definition({
    "zDefault": flc_data["zDefault"],
    "enableZDefaults": flc_data["enableZDefaults"],
}))

0 Kudos