Time stamp photo? Field Maps

Jump to solution
05-20-2021 01:26 PM
CollinJohnston
Occasional Contributor III

We are trying to implement Field Maps (well, we started with collector, but I see it's being depreciated) to assist with photo location mapping.  A requirement is that the photo log must display time stamped photos. We can do everything else needed with the app, just need this time stamp piece. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AaronPulver
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently this is not available in the Field Maps app. It is on the roadmap though.

There is an example Jupyter notebook we put together or Dev Summit 2021 that shows how you can post-process features to generate a report. One of the things in there is how to extract information from the photos EXIF data and then apply a watermark on the image with that data. It includes the timestamp and coordinates. It might be something to look into if you have experience with Python.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AaronPulver
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently this is not available in the Field Maps app. It is on the roadmap though.

There is an example Jupyter notebook we put together or Dev Summit 2021 that shows how you can post-process features to generate a report. One of the things in there is how to extract information from the photos EXIF data and then apply a watermark on the image with that data. It includes the timestamp and coordinates. It might be something to look into if you have experience with Python.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
CollinJohnston

@AaronPulver  Thank you for your response, although I'll admit I'm sad that this is still only on a road map after moving from Collector. I will give your solution a try and see if it will work. I'm guessing that because python is needed that our standard field user will not be able to accomplish the watermark themselves and would need an analyst to support. 

0 Kudos
CollinJohnston

@AaronPulver  - any chance you can provide a link to the road map documentation? Trying to understand how long the road is before this is going to be released. 

0 Kudos
AaronPulver
Esri Regular Contributor

We don't have a public roadmap. I would not expect this feature to be available until at least a year from now. First, we need to add support for in-line attachments in the form.

Do you have any additional requirements besides showing a timestamp?

Does it need to be formatted in a certain way? What about text color?

Where should it be placed on the image (e.g. top right, bottom right)?

What size font is required? Does it need to change based on the size of the image?

Do you need any other info like the coordinates embedded onto the photo?

0 Kudos
CollinJohnston

Hi @AaronPulver  - thanks for your detailed inquiry seeking more requirements. 

This is what I can provide, hope it helps the ESRI team develop a solution. My experience tells me that the simpler the better, but you folks are the ones to design and implement so I'll leave that to the pros.

The requirement we are in need of satisfying for the state historic preservation offices in re: to Section 106 consultation is to display the date and time of the photo. I was thinking it would be best to leave that to the technology and add automatically since our users will only have field user licenses. 

To add my .02 to your other questions:

•  Applying date/time can't require an elevated user license type. These are field users who will be using apps and print widgets to create maps and reports. 
  • No formatting - I'd recommend two options for text color. Back & White. - again, simple is best. 
  • I would default to bottom right. Allowing each corner as an option would be thoughtful. 
  • font... IDK something small like we used to see when we used point and click digital cameras. Again, I would think only 1 - 2 options would be best.  Personally, I wouldn't want it to change with photo size. the font size should set that? 
  • Our requirement is to show a map of each photo location as well as the direction the photo is facing. so perhaps the Azimuth woudl be useful. Perhaps coordinates may be needed by others but not in our use case. 

Thank you for engaging with me on these requirement over the forum pages. I appreciate your interest in supporting my organization and all our users and client. 

Cheers 

DougBrowning
MVP Frequent Contributor

There are 3rd party apps that can do this.  Use the app then upload from your saved photos.  We do this in iOS for drawing on photos since the crew likes it better than the 123 drawing tool.  (123 also can do watermarks).

Hope that helps

CollinJohnston

@DougBrowning Thank you for your response as well, I appreciate the different views that fellow users have. I will have to research 3rd party apps for iOS and Andriod (mixed env. here), and I'm thinking this solution is going to be too much to support for our 100 users and I'll be better off waiting for this to be implemented or see if S123 will help even though we are doing map driven collection. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Frequent Contributor

If it helps we gave up on watermarks at the time of collection.  Sometimes a crew had the wrong location or info and then it burned this wrong info into the photo for all of time as they cannot be removed.  So we went with post processing after QA as mentioned.  Also the watermarks often covered up something we wanted to see in the photo.

If you are creating some type of report you could always display the date info above or below the photo in text.  The info is in the photo all you are doing is displaying it with a watermark.

Hope that helps.

CollinJohnston

Yes, that does help a lot Doug. I helps to hear what others have done for a work around, thanks for your time and input. 

0 Kudos