Select to view content in your preferred language

Slow offline area packaging in Field Maps Designer as of 03/2024

Jump to solution
03-14-2024 02:00 PM
willbruce_KarukTribeDNR
Occasional Contributor

My colleagues and I have been noticing a significantly slower packaging time for managed offline areas in Field Maps Designer over the last few weeks. We've done a couple tests, including setting up map areas with a simple ESRI-provided vector basemap and selecting a very small area, but the packaging can still take up to several hours or overnight. Is anyone else having this problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamGaudet
New Contributor III

Just posting an update. I just re-tried creating offline areas and all seems good now (May 2024). Maybe a little slow for a relatively small area (I would expect it to be faster, though I really don't have much to compare it too, so maybe all is good), but I was able to package the rather larger area that I was trying to do a few weeks ago that I couldn't when I created my post.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

I can confirm that the packaging server has been unreliable intermittently throughout the year. Slow packaging, failed packaging, etc.

kmsmikrud
Regular Contributor

Hi,

Yes! I have been having the same issue with offline maps taking an hour to overnight to just not creating an offline map or progressing so I stop them. When I say progressing, sometimes I check what map layers have been packaged up within the 'Manage Offline Areas' and I'll see nothing has been packaged.

These are offline maps from web maps we have been using for years now. I noticed the issue last week and do have an Esri tech support ticket open although they have not been able to pinpoint, but it is happening on multiple maps some with the same layers but not all.

I've also noticed AGOL in general has been sort of locking up/slow behavior too.

Earlier today the offline maps were noticeably faster and successful in creating them so I was hopeful the issue was resolved whatever it was. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an issue although that doesn't resolve it. I sent your post link to the Esri tech support as well.

I know AGOL was showing as 'no issues' healthy but I've also learned that isn't always true. We are just starting field work for the year and so I'm not sure if this has been issue earlier than now.

Thanks for posting and sharing this,

@JustinColville do you have any info on the offline maps from AGOL being so slow?

Kathy

RBBENSADOUN
New Contributor II

We've been experiencing the same issues, with many failing and then succeeding later on when we try again. Hoping there is a resolution and this is just a bug from the latest update!

kmsmikrud
Regular Contributor

Today (3/19/24) we are no unable to download offline maps from the device for multiple devices, AGOL web maps. This has been are work around and now this is failing.

MarcusSmith2
New Contributor

Piggybacking on these posts. AGOL behavior has been intermittent over the past few months within our organization - multiple reports from our users who are unable to package offline maps. We've opened several cases with ESRI but never able to locate a root cause before the issue somehow resolves itself. We're on an M2 datastore, where usage is completely within the threshold to perform.

jmaxwell_braun
New Contributor III

Same issues here. Some individual layers within the same AGOL hosted feature service can be taken offline, some cannot. Packaging fails through Field Maps and AGOL. Currently troubleshooting with Esri support. The error message in the Field Map logs says: Error downloading map: Error Domain=com.esri.arcgis.runtime.services.error Code=500 "Unable to create replica. Please check your parameters."

AdamGaudet
New Contributor III

Jumping in here as well. Trying to get offline maps up and running for my organization and creating offline areas have been intermittent - more failures (or just extremely long packaging times) than successes. I've been making very simple maps with limited layers and data as a sort of testing ground. Everyone here gets a kudo from me to hopefully push this issue up the list.

jmaxwell_braun
New Contributor III

The offline area issue in my case was due to field indexes with invalid characters created by Experience Builder search widgets. You can check for invalid characters on each layer in a problematic map by going to the layer detail, settings, field indexes and checking for any indexes with hyphens.

jmaxwell_braun_0-1713447518998.png

willbruce_KarukTribeDNR
Occasional Contributor

This is interesting. I don't think our problem was related, but I'm hopeful this might be what's causing other packaging issues we have noticed, where layers that have not been changed in a long time start failing.

0 Kudos