Sign in error via ArcGIS Online - untrusted certificate

Jump to solution
09-26-2021 10:18 PM
elpinguino
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Field Maps Community,

One of our field workers is having issues signing in to Field Maps via his tablet.

He is going through the ArcGIS Online button (not the Enterprise button because we don't have Enterprise.)

I've attached screenshots.

Other things to consider.

I can't physically troubleshoot this myself because the tablet is not with me. I can only direct him.

He hasn't had this issue with the five other tablets we've installed Field Maps on.

I didn't come across this issue when I  was testing Field Maps in the tablets.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Hi there,

As of the September release, ArcGIS online is using a certificate issues by Amazon CA. The error message you are seeing "The server you are trying to connect to (https://www.arcgis.com) is using an untrusted certificate" seems to indicate that the device does not have the Amazon Root CA as trusted on the device.

To remedy this, you will need to install/trust the Amazong Root CA 1 on the device with the issue.
This link has pretty good steps for how to do this: link

See attached screenshot.
The image on the Left, shows how you can inspect AGOL (or any websites) certificate by clicking on the lock. You can see that it was signed by Amazon (and specifically Amazon Root CA 1)

The image on the Right shows my device's trusted Certificates. Devices should have Amazon Root CA 1 trusted.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks,

HEather

View solution in original post

8 Replies
IhabHassan
Esri Contributor

Hi @elpinguino 
I think you can use something like TeamViewer to be able to manage the device remotely. 
Regarding the FieldMaps, are you sure the latest version of the software is installed? looks like invalid cached temp files issue, you might need to use new Profile on this device to make sure you are using latest 

Regards
Ihab
0 Kudos
elpinguino

That's good advice! Thanks Ihab. I will ask them to check Google Playstore and make sure the latest version is being used.

DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Can you log onto AGOL using a browser on the device?

0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor

Hi there,

As of the September release, ArcGIS online is using a certificate issues by Amazon CA. The error message you are seeing "The server you are trying to connect to (https://www.arcgis.com) is using an untrusted certificate" seems to indicate that the device does not have the Amazon Root CA as trusted on the device.

To remedy this, you will need to install/trust the Amazong Root CA 1 on the device with the issue.
This link has pretty good steps for how to do this: link

See attached screenshot.
The image on the Left, shows how you can inspect AGOL (or any websites) certificate by clicking on the lock. You can see that it was signed by Amazon (and specifically Amazon Root CA 1)

The image on the Right shows my device's trusted Certificates. Devices should have Amazon Root CA 1 trusted.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks,

HEather

elpinguino

Thank you @HeatherMcCracken ! This is just what I needed. Have checked on my own device and sent over to the field workers. Catching up with them tomorrow and will ask how it went. I will keep this post handy. It's a good one.

0 Kudos
elpinguino

It turned out the date/time had jumped to May 2022, which screwed over the certs. Not sure what's going on there, but your pointers/articles led them to check the security and find the issue.

0 Kudos
KellyArmstrong
Occasional Contributor II

I am getting the same issue, but with Enterprise/Portal, when opening Field Maps or Collector on my Android device.....

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart

Go see my response to your thread. You are not alone!

0 Kudos