Selecting road segment using a beginning and ending milepost

Jump to solution
08-03-2022 05:24 PM
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I am creating a field map for the paint striping road crew, so they can go out and mark the locations where the paint needs to be sprayed on the road because the chip sealing truck will cover up all the paint so they have to locate all of the starting and stopping paint locations. 

The worker wants to drop a pin on the road where the painting will begin and drop another point where the painting will end. Then he wants the symbology of the road to change between the two points, so solid white paint would be a solid line and dashed paint would a dashed line for example.

Is there a way to do this?

I have the roads layer, I created a point layer, he is going to drop a point and also enter the milepost of the point. I don't know how to get that to change how the road looks.

I haven't use the markup tool, I don't know if that would work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

It appears that FieldMaps may not support line splitting to change symbology for the stripe type - See https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-ideas/make-it-possible-to-split-and-edit-a-line-feat... and perhaps vote for it. Their solution is to allow the field staff to drop the pins in FieldMaps then perform the segment edits in the office with the synchronized data.

As an alternative is there a spot that won't be covered by the chip seal that they could transfer the lane striping change to as a reference? A little bit of paint on a curb, gutter, shoulder, or survey lath would do the same thing.

Regards,

Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

It appears that FieldMaps may not support line splitting to change symbology for the stripe type - See https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-ideas/make-it-possible-to-split-and-edit-a-line-feat... and perhaps vote for it. Their solution is to allow the field staff to drop the pins in FieldMaps then perform the segment edits in the office with the synchronized data.

As an alternative is there a spot that won't be covered by the chip seal that they could transfer the lane striping change to as a reference? A little bit of paint on a curb, gutter, shoulder, or survey lath would do the same thing.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

That is helpful to know that they don't currently support it.

He is driving a vehicle that counts the mileage, so he zeros it out at the beginning of the road, then when he stops he writes the mileage down in his notebook and draws a symbol for the start of paint, then he spray paints a marking on the edge of the road for the painting crew to use to know where to start painting.

I think what I will do is try to do is have him collect points at those locations, then I can split the lines at the office at the points, and color code the segments differently for paint versus no paint.

I think I might have to look at each point though to see if it is beginning paint, or beginning no paint to know how to color code the segments. I don't know if there is a faster way to do the color coding afterwards.

0 Kudos