Restrict editing to related record only; not allow adding new features to parent layer?

Jump to solution
04-15-2022 10:02 AM
Caitlin_Todd_LCOR
New Contributor III

Hello all, 

I'm hoping this functionality is available in ArcGIS FieldMaps and I'm just missing where to configure it.

I have a 1:M feature layer between Sites and Inspections. I'm developing a map for field crews to go out and add new inspection records to sites. BUT, I cannot allow them to add/delete/update locations of sites. 

I tried restricting editing to only allow for attribute updates, but that also removes the ability to add new related records in the inspection table.

Is this workflow possible in ArcGIS FieldMaps right now? Is it on the roadmap sometime in the near future?

Thanks!

Caitlin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why not just remove all the editing forms for the parent layer when you configure the field map? The layer would technically still be editable, but you would not be able to access the edit screen in the field because FieldMaps is configured without that option. I have a point layer with related table and I only allow the option for field workers to update 1 field on the point layer, but can create as many related records as they want.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoséDanielGoigocheaPinchi
New Contributor II

Good afternoon, this is my case too, it is important to know where to restrict editing to the main table and be able to add related data.

0 Kudos
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

As far as I'm aware any editing settings on the feature service as a whole (such as the allow attribute editing only) will apply to all layers in the service as you've discovered.

One way to do this would be to just disable editing for your sites layer within the map. It's not ideal because the same layer added to any other map is still editable by default but better than nothing. I'm guessing there are probably enhancement ideas out there to have the editing controlled at the individual layer level rather than the whole service.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why not just remove all the editing forms for the parent layer when you configure the field map? The layer would technically still be editable, but you would not be able to access the edit screen in the field because FieldMaps is configured without that option. I have a point layer with related table and I only allow the option for field workers to update 1 field on the point layer, but can create as many related records as they want.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hosted feature services in ArcGIS Online support this configuration, it's not exposed in any UI though (it's tentatively planned for later this year). There are some steps you can take via the admin REST API to enable and configure this. Let me know if you are interested in these steps and I can write them up and post it.

AlexVideka
New Contributor III

Hi Aaron,

I would very much like to see a write-up detailing how this can be done through the API. Our County use case is we want related inspection tables to be updated but we want to limit field operators' ability to accidentally create new assets. 

Kind Regards,
- Alex 

0 Kudos
kawakawa4
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm keen to know how this is done as well please.

0 Kudos
KadinBaird41
New Contributor II

I would be very interested in seeing the write-up on the steps to complete this process as I am trying to set up a new app for my field users and would like to restrict them to only adding new related records. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Caitlin_Todd_LCOR
New Contributor III

Thank you everyone for your insights, after some googling and clicking around the AGOL map viewer I eventually found where to turn off editing on the parent layer. I would prefer to set it on the service itself to keep things straightforward and not have to document which maps had which configuration on the same service, but this is a good work around. Thanks Zac!

I had tried to connect a Survey123 off of the related table, but that workflow involved some extra clicks that users wouldn't be too happy with. I have a related question with more information here FieldMaps Form Calc not applying edits after Survey123 submission . But with this workaround I'll be disconnecting the Survey123 piece and using just FieldMaps.

Aaron, that's great to hear it's on the roadmap to allow hosted feature services to support this kind of configuration, I look forward to seeing the update! 

0 Kudos
AlexVideka
New Contributor III

Hi Caitlin, I read through and tried Zach's workaround but found app users could still drop new points and create new assets. Was your experience different? I would greatly appreciate any further detail in how you managed to get around the creation issue.

Kind Regards,
- Alex

0 Kudos