Offline imagery (.tpkx) sideloaded to iPads for use in Field Maps, is there a max size?

Jump to solution
02-21-2021 10:13 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am putting together base map imagery .tpkx files to sideload on iPads for use in ArcGIS Field Maps in offline data collection environments. The surveys are for aerial surveys and cover large areas. The iPads have internal storage of 256 GB so we have lots of space.

I've created .tpkx files that are range from 5 GB to 12 GB to date. The basemaps .tpkx seem to function ok within Field Maps, but we haven't thoroughly tested.

Is there a limit or maximum size recommended for the .tpkx when using in Field Maps? Does the size of the .tpkx slow down the app or cause issues? I have only read more of the device limitations if there isn't enough space to store the larger .tpkx, but I haven't found anything on the app functionality.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Kathy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixPower
Esri Contributor

Hi Kathy,

On iOS the size of the .tpkx file is only limited to the amount of free space on the device, therefore as long as there is enough free space there should not be any performance issues. Given that the size is limited to the amount of free space, there is not any limit or recommended maximum .tpkx file when using in Field Maps. 

Good luck,

Alix

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AlixPower
Esri Contributor

Hi Kathy,

On iOS the size of the .tpkx file is only limited to the amount of free space on the device, therefore as long as there is enough free space there should not be any performance issues. Given that the size is limited to the amount of free space, there is not any limit or recommended maximum .tpkx file when using in Field Maps. 

Good luck,

Alix

kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @AlixPower!

I'm so glad to hear that on the large .tpkx files and the files not affecting performance of the app, very good news. Thank-you!

0 Kudos