Location freezes when switching to Integrated GPS

07-06-2021 08:38 AM
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

I've found that when switching GPS providers from an external source to Integrated on iOS, the current location shown on the map freezes on the last external GPS location unless the external device is turned off or Bluetooth is disconnected before switching providers.

We've been having various Field Maps/Trimble issues and I discovered this trying to replicate other issues. I can start with the integrated receiver, connect to an external receiver (Trimble R2) via Bluetooth and switch over to that in FM without a problem. If I try to switch back to Integrated without first disconnecting the external receiver, the map either freezes up entirely, or just the blue-dot location indicator stays stuck on the previous external position.

Is this a known bug? Seems we should be able to seamlessly switch GPS providers without glitching.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AaronWorthley1 ,

Are you still having issues with this workflow? To clarify, if the external receiver is powered off or disconnected, you are correctly notified of this and can switch to internal without issue? 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

I haven't tested again, but I reproduced it several times previously. Yes, I believe as long as I powered down the R2 or disconnected it in Bluetooth settings, switching to the integrated receiver works as expected. If I leave it connected, things go awry.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks I will take a look. Can you confirm the iOS device and its OS version, as well as the installed version of Field Maps?

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

iOS 14.6 on an iPhoneXR, with Field Maps 21.2.1

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AaronWorthley1 ,

Sorry for the delay. I reproduced this with a different type of external receiver and am logging something internally to debug. If you havent already, it would be helpful to submit this to support and if you have a bug number, report it back here. Thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos