Legacy Bug in Field Maps?

12-14-2020 08:41 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just noticed an issue that has been present in Collector and appears it happens in this new app as well.

1. Hosted feature layer with editing enabled, sync enabled.

2. Add to map. Make a copy of the layer in the map, add a filter, symbology, etc. to the copy of the layer.

3. Create offline area.

4. App only downloads "one" layer in the map. The copy is not downloaded.

As a workaround, we had to create a hosted view, go through setting that view up with symbology and filters for reference, and adding the hosted layer and hosted view into the map. Then it downloaded and worked as it should. I remember this issue being in all the Collectors (Classic and new) where if you have a copy of a layer in your web map, the copy didn't work - whether downloaded offline or just loaded directly.

Please look into and fix. Kind of disappointing to see legacy issues from Collector (some a couple years old now) present in a "new" app. If I run into all the same problems in field maps as I did Collector, I see no reason to be pushed into changing. And we can't really wait another 2 years for these issues to be worked out. Data collections and field seasons continue regardless if Esri software is working or not.

3 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

I know this behavior can be frustrating when sometimes the easiest and most effective route is to just make a copy of a layer. Check out the discussion in this post from the Collector forum. The short answer is that there are known limitations using layer copies offline and viable workarounds (layer views, which this in fact is one of their main use cases) for this workflow. It is present in Field Maps because nothing was ever changed with this behavior in Collector and the core of Collector was brought over as the base for Field Maps.

There are additional links and Ideas in the post I linked above where you can comment further, or feel free to elaborate further here. Thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Except using hosted views creates a host of other workflow issues - like not being able to overwrite the layer, etc. So it's not a viable solution in many situations where simply making a copy of the layer in the map works best. I get there might be some technology issues on the backend but this "bug" is basically Esri forcing a workflow on us when I'm sure there is a solution or viable middle ground.

When I copy a layer in a database in Pro and the name already exists, it adds a "_1" to the layer. Can't the app do the same in the offline database on the device? can't the app go "oh this layer is already in the database so I'll make a copy and rename it layer_1"? Making us go through the effort to create a hosted view for something simply done in a web map creates more problems than needed on our end.

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for the additional details. I am not sure exactly how Pro handles it, but copied layers run into a lot of snags at the Runtime level, which are exacerbated at the app level. Its not something we are dismissing entirely; there is an enhancement that is under consideration - ENH-000126753. It was logged for Collector but would be brought over to Field Maps should the team decide to implement it. You can contact Support and get attached to it to track the status.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos