Labels not showing up in Field Maps

Jump to solution
05-27-2022 08:14 AM
Dong_Kun__VDOT_
New Contributor II

We created a Web Map using the ArcGIS online Map Viewer Classic with our Stormwater Basin points on the map. I labeled the points by their IDs, and they are showing up in the Web Map.

Dong_Kun__VDOT__0-1653663413304.png

However, when I opened the map in Field Maps (22.2.0), the labels were not showing up.

Dong_Kun__VDOT__2-1653663810849.png

The visibility range was set from world to room. The labels are showing up correctly in Collector. Actually, the labels were showing up before in Field Maps. This happened recently. We did update our Stormwater Basin fs 2 weeks ago. Link to the fs.

I also tried creating a new map using the new Map Viewer, but the labels were still not showing up in Field Maps. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@Dong_Kun__VDOT_ @AmeWunderle 

Field Maps should honor any labels set in the Web Map and, if the changes are saved, these would take precedence over any labels at the Feature Service level (either before publishing or from the visualization tab for the Feature Service). There is a known issue (BUG-000147352) where this override is not working correctly for offline maps. Can either of you clarify if this is also an issue when viewing the map online (ie no offline area downloaded)? Were any labels set outside of the Web Map?

Thanks,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

Dong_Kun__VDOT_
New Contributor II

Hi mikibok,

I think that's probably true. I was finally able to resolve this by following these steps:

1. Go to the item detail page of the feature service.

2. Open the "Visualization" tab on top.

Dong_Kun__VDOT__0-1660926826510.png

3. Turn the labels on and save.

Then they are finally showing up in the Field Maps!

View solution in original post

15 Replies
AmeWunderle
New Contributor III

I'm having the same issue. Map I created a few weeks ago, the labels show up (created in Map Viewer, not classic). Created a new map with the same parameters and settings but the labels don't show up in the offline areas or in the map within field maps at all. @ZacharySutherby do you have any ideas? Visibility range is the same for both maps. 

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @AmeWunderle

Unfortunately, I'm not so in touch with the ArcGIS Field Maps side of things I'm more on the Survey123 side of things. @ColinLawrence or @KevinBurke would be better to assist with the issue. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@Dong_Kun__VDOT_ @AmeWunderle 

Field Maps should honor any labels set in the Web Map and, if the changes are saved, these would take precedence over any labels at the Feature Service level (either before publishing or from the visualization tab for the Feature Service). There is a known issue (BUG-000147352) where this override is not working correctly for offline maps. Can either of you clarify if this is also an issue when viewing the map online (ie no offline area downloaded)? Were any labels set outside of the Web Map?

Thanks,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
Dong_Kun__VDOT_
New Contributor II

From my end, yes. The labels are not showing up when viewing the map online, and the labels are all within the Web Map.

I've also tested this on other feature services, and couldn't replicate this issue. This label issue is only happening to the BMP feature service. I'm going to let the owner republish this fs with the labels turned on and see if it will resolve the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions!

AmeWunderle
New Contributor III

Hi Colin,

I checked and the map in Field Maps didn't show labels both on and off-line. I then followed your suggestion and set up labels at the feature service level (full visibility range just in case) and then re-saved the web map. They work now in Field Maps online and in offline areas. 

Thanks for the suggestion! (and thanks Zach too!)

DebbieGoeldner
New Contributor II

I tried the 'solution' but the Visualization on the WFL layer has the labels option grayed out.  Are there any other methods? I really don't want to have to republish. Seems like it should be an easy step to turn labels on and off. They are on in the Web Map so why not the feature layer? Using app version 23.1.0 Build 984

0 Kudos
mikibok
New Contributor II
Dong_Kun__VDOT_
New Contributor II

Hi mikibok,

I think that's probably true. I was finally able to resolve this by following these steps:

1. Go to the item detail page of the feature service.

2. Open the "Visualization" tab on top.

Dong_Kun__VDOT__0-1660926826510.png

3. Turn the labels on and save.

Then they are finally showing up in the Field Maps!

dajaho
by
New Contributor II

I want to reiterate that labels are activated through the Feature Service (!!), not the Web Map, although the Web Map is the place to prepare symbology for mobile use. Very confusing, but it actually works for me now, too.

0 Kudos