How to apply contingent values in Field Maps

Jump to solution
11-07-2021 10:24 PM
Marokapara
Occasional Contributor

Hi Field Maps community,

I am working with farmers to map out vegetation types on their land.

The idea is that they the vegetation polygons in and fill out the attributes themselves using the Edit widget in Experience Builder.

My plan is to apply hierarchical conditionalities so the attribute filling out process is simple for them. I assume I'd be doing this through Field Maps, which would feed into the Edit widget.

The answers to choose from in subsequent questions would be based off of how they answer previous questions.

The screenshot below shows what I am trying to do.

Marokapara_0-1636352274216.png

My arcade level is basic. I understand how to use conditional visibility in Field Maps, so how to make a follow-up question appear if the first question is true or false. I don't know how to control the drop-down answers in that follow-up question based off of the answer to the first question. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial or can provide some instruction here?

As a side note, I've set up the contingent values in Arcpro and published that layer into AGOL, but they didn't appear when I tried editing it in Map Viewer, when I tested it out in a Field Maps form on mobile, so assume too it won't work in Experience Builder.

I know as a safe and back up option, I can load each of the fields in individually, however would like to avoid that because it will take a long time, and I think there must be a better way to do it!

I appreciate your help. Thanks for taking the time to review my post.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SarahSaint-Ruth
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Field Maps supports contingent attribute values in the form. Once you have published your services from ArcGIS Pro you need to add these fields to the form using Field Maps Designer. Help on how to set this up is available in the doc. You just need to scroll a little to Add contingent field groups to the form.

If Field Maps Designer is new we have a 5 minute video here.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MarokaparaContingent values are not supported in Field Maps (or any other client apps besides Pro) at this time. We expect to add support in the first half of 2022 - it's a very high priority feature. Layers with contingent values authored in Pro that are published will "just work"- there likely will not be a web authoring experience initially.

0 Kudos
Marokapara
Occasional Contributor

Ok. Thanks for the update @Anonymous User .

0 Kudos
Marokapara
Occasional Contributor

@Anonymous User Hey, just wanted to check in on this. How are we tracking for contingent values being published to AGOL? And using in Field Maps/ Experience Builder?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Marokapara  There has been a lot of work done in ArcGIS Online hosted feature services to support contingent values. I don't think there are client apps using them at this time though. The Field Maps team is planning to start work on this in January and if everything goes well, it will be available in our Spring release.

Denis_Khrustalev
New Contributor II

Hi Aaron!

Is that right that contingent values support released earlier this month is only for AGOL but not for the Portal hosted feature layers? Any plans for Portal support?

Thank you for your hard work on that!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Contingent values are supported in ArcGIS Online and in Enterprise for non-hosted feature layers (e.g. backed by an enterprise geodatabase). They are not supported in hosted feature services on Enterprise yet.

Denis_Khrustalev
New Contributor II

Thanks! 

I did a test and can confirm the following: 

Contingent values are:

working in Pro for Enterprise GDB feature classes - YES;

working in Enterprise hosted feature layers on Portal - NO;

working on Enterprise Published Service on Portal - YES.

The interesting thing is that I need to have both, defined default values for feature templates/subtypes and Contingent Values to further restrict the data input.

But, the only way I was able to pass the default values for my designed templates/subtypes for Portal Field Maps is to publish as hosted feature layer and use the Classic Map Viewer to manage the default values for each template. When tested publishing to AGOL, it is possible to pass those defaults directly to Field Maps templates with no problem. 

Looks like for the Enterprise layer published to Portal,  I have to have either contingent values if publish as Service on Server OR subtype/template defaults if publish as a hosted feature layer. Am I missing something here?

Sorry, if this is out of your scope Aaron and I can create a separate topic for a discussion. 

Allison_Hockey
New Contributor III

Very excited to see this! Cant wait for hosted feature layers to have this functionality as well!! 

Thanks Esri 🙂

0 Kudos
cmako
by
New Contributor

I just tried sharing a WebMap from ArcPro with Contingent Values. The map is not working in FieldMaps (I can get others to work fine). Are Contingent Values still not supported in Field Maps or am I making another error somewhere?

0 Kudos