Has there been a change to layer refresh intervals between Collector to Field Maps?

11-17-2021 01:12 PM
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

I'm testing the same webmap in Field Maps and Collector.  In this webmap, I have a mapservice that includes a layer that gathers all inspection activities on a feature so that we can draw a colored shape on top of assets that have recently been inspected.  This map service draws on top of the feature service that contains the assets to let field staff know that their inspection is complete and to move on.

When I perform an inspection the colored shape draws almost instantaneously in Collector.  In Field Maps, it will not display.  I've had to kill the app and reload it for this shape to draw/the layer to trigger looking for an update to the data.  Turning on and off the layer doesn't trigger a refresh neither does zooming in and out.

Is Field Maps caching the data differently than Collector?  We've even setup this test to directly tie to the REST service URL coming from our ArcGIS Server so the AGOL CDN doesn't come into play.

14 Replies
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

Is anyone able to provide an update on this issue?  It appears there are multiple bugs documented with no posted workarounds (BUG-000142164 or BUG-000144902)  This issue is preventing our organization from migrating off of Collector to Field Maps and would like to understand a timeline for when this bug will be prioritized and resolved.  Appreciate any information that can be shared.

0 Kudos
rge_esri
New Contributor II

Matt, 

The workaround listed under BUG-000144902 are:

1. Change the Extent or Level of detail by a wide margin to query and zoom back to the area of interest to re-query the map.
  2. Exit the map and reload it.

Are these not working for you?

0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

Hi @rge_esri these are not workable. 

Option 1) Does not actually work, I've zoomed all the way out to a country extent and zoomed back in, still I'm not getting the layer to refresh and to display the newly created field.  Also not a realistic expectation/behavior for the user's workflow.

Option 2) It's completely unworkable for the use case that this functionality supported in Collector.  To expect a user to close and reopen their map after each related table entry is unrealistic.

After I posted this message, I contacted other ESRI employees I have spoken with over the years.  It sounds like this is a bug/issue with the entire ArcGIS Runtime SDK and that team is aware of it but that is all I know.

If you have any additional information to share please do so.  After reading up on the upcoming SDK release, it would be great to understand if this bug is slated for resolution in the coming August 22 release as this blog posts states they are only focused on bug fixes.

0 Kudos
bb3
by
New Contributor

Any update on this bug? I agree with Matt that these workarounds are not workable.

0 Kudos
BrendonJoyce1
Occasional Contributor

After seeing a newer response to this, I was able to sort of fix my issues, which may differ from the original problem, but has to do with newer symbols not showing over older ones.

I was able to solve my symbology issues (they may be different than the initial post here) by looking into how Esri symbolozes ObjectIDs. It appears that OID 1 will symbolize over OID 100 (the new point or inspection you just made) which would keep the old inspection color or symbol on top. I swear it did not use to do this or I did not have this problem.

Web Maps do not have symbol layer drawing, something you can do in Pro to show other symbols on top of each other like Photoshop.

Since I am on a SQL db and Portal, I was able to have the SQL OID sort flipped so that OID 100 shows over 1. This fixed the issue I had where the newest inspection in the related record was not symbolizing on top. 

If this web map ecosystem could always prefer to symbolize the newest on top, I feel like that would be huge for inspection workflows to not have to find workarounds. 

0 Kudos