Has there been a change to layer refresh intervals between Collector to Field Maps?

11-17-2021 01:12 PM
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

I'm testing the same webmap in Field Maps and Collector.  In this webmap, I have a mapservice that includes a layer that gathers all inspection activities on a feature so that we can draw a colored shape on top of assets that have recently been inspected.  This map service draws on top of the feature service that contains the assets to let field staff know that their inspection is complete and to move on.

When I perform an inspection the colored shape draws almost instantaneously in Collector.  In Field Maps, it will not display.  I've had to kill the app and reload it for this shape to draw/the layer to trigger looking for an update to the data.  Turning on and off the layer doesn't trigger a refresh neither does zooming in and out.

Is Field Maps caching the data differently than Collector?  We've even setup this test to directly tie to the REST service URL coming from our ArcGIS Server so the AGOL CDN doesn't come into play.

14 Replies
DominicRoberge2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Matt

in Fields Maps app, under your profile, make sure auto-Sync is turn on. Perhaps that will help

0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion Dominic, Auto-Sync was already enabled.

0 Kudos
rge_esri
New Contributor II

Hi, Matt,

Are you able to share the map with us?

Thanks,

Rui

0 Kudos
BrendonJoyce1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matt, I have dealt with this a lot with Field Maps and Portal based layers.

This answer may be Portal based. I have to use a feature layer and related table uploaded to Portal, then a separate map image layer with a join between the point and table separately. The map image layer is the one that I use to change colors, etc. The equivalent if you are using AGOL would be creating a layer view of your point layer in order to symbolize differently, this works much better in AGOL.

In the web map: When you are configuring your layer that needs to update quickly, I have found that adding services into the web map from the URL will not update the same in Field Maps and is a bug. I used to do this to get by the map table of contents layer order (can't put a map image layer on top of a feature layer, etc). When I add the same layer by the add layer button/search and add the feature, the updating seems to perform better on Field Maps, I just have to deal with the table of contents layer order, I do this by making the shape a big hollow ring visible around the editable feature point.

Additionally, you can change the refresh interval on that layer to 0.5 (the lowest amount).

Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

@BrendonJoyce1 thanks for the response, this is pretty much the exact situation I am dealing with right now.  I've tested the .5 refresh interval last week and did not notice any change.  I will give that another try as well as creating a new webmap where I use the "Add layer button"  I hope that isn't the long term fix as I believe through our scripting we are just adding in the REST URLs and deploying and setting a hard manual refresh has me worried about the long term impact to our ArcGIS Servers when it comes to performance and capacity but I'll keep testing and working with support.

@rge_esri I've created a case (https://my.esri.com/#/support/cases/02938862) and shared the content to ESRI Support. Are you able to access the layers and maps through this? If not I can share to you directly.

0 Kudos
BrendonJoyce1
Occasional Contributor

I have noticed different, better behaviors in the new map viewer (map viewer beta for us 10.8.1 Portal users). The problem with that map viewer beta is that it doesn't have full support yet for layers like map image layer and the like. It is looking like in 10.9.1 the viewer is coming out of beta and things like Dashboards will also be using that new viewer in them, which is good news.

If I were to review the symbology updating issue in the web map viewer (old), a dashboard reading that map, and the field map using that map, they would be showing different symbology results a lot. With fixing the map viewer using the add layer buttons and refresh intervals, I was able to start getting similar results in the different maps.

I think it is an underlying issue in the differences in the old map viewer, whereas Field Maps seems to be designed to use the new map viewer, which makes sense. Symbology things seem to work better when you can make them work in the new beta map viewer. I am hopeful that the 10.9.1 release will include support for the layers like map image layers and the like.

Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @BrendonJoyce1  for the additional perspective.  What is confusing to me is the fact that I'm not using Enterprise for this solution so the notes you have on 10.9.1 should already have been resolved with the current live version (Released in April 21) of ArcGIS Online correct?

Also based on this blog post, I was under the impression that if the webmap was saved with Map Viewer Classic, Field Maps would honor that and not convert or force it to the New Map Viewer.  That's why I'm confused that Collector and the Webmap refresh the layer almost instantaneously (without even having a layer refresh setting enabled) but Field Map using the same Classic Webmap will not refresh the layer unless I force close the application and reload the webmap.

0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

@BrendonJoyce1 after working with support they have recognized it as a bug.  Please feel free to attach your organization to it.  BUG-000144902

0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

It turns out there was an additional bug reported that predates mine by a few months. 

Bug BUG-000142164

https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDE0MjE2NA==

0 Kudos