Form > Template > Default Values

Jump to solution
07-04-2022 04:41 PM
Lindsay
Occasional Contributor

I'm going through Field Maps Web to set up parts of my forms to use Experience Builder's edit widget.

I want to set the default values for a view layer I have.

Why am I only able to see some of the fields in the default values area?

If I set the default values for one of the view layers, will that become true for all of them since they link back to the same master layer? Is there any way of working around this without going into Map Viewer Classic? I don't want Map Viewer Classic to ungroup some of the group layers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Lindsay,

I'm not sure if you are using AGOL or Enterprise, but you can only see some of the fields in the templates tab of Field Maps web app because of a known bug.  There a couple of posts floating around discussing just that.

In order to see a field right now it needs to have a default value assigned. In order to assign this default value (on a field that doesn't currently have one) then you need to be in map viewer classic. 

You don't need to worry about messing up your map viewer config so long as you don't save the map in map viewer classic.  Updating feature templates does NOT require you to save the map... it has its own save operation.  But, to avoid any map viewer configuration issues (which should only be a problem in Enterprise now) or accidents don't open your configured map in map viewer classic at all; just open the layer/feature service in a new/stand-alone map viewer classic and mess with your templates there, then there is nothing to mess up.  

Once you have updated your templates in MVC, then those fields will show up in the FM Web app templates.

As far as your other question is concerned, I don't think you can have separate templates for the master layer vs the view (not 100%). You either need to create all the templates in the master layer, including what you want in the view or go with dynamic default values using field calculations, edibility constraints, and probably some helper field or config your map to achieve what you want.  This will be much harder to do in Enterprise at the moment (but possible) and is still a bit hacky in AGOL.

- Justin Reynolds, PE

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Lindsay,

I'm not sure if you are using AGOL or Enterprise, but you can only see some of the fields in the templates tab of Field Maps web app because of a known bug.  There a couple of posts floating around discussing just that.

In order to see a field right now it needs to have a default value assigned. In order to assign this default value (on a field that doesn't currently have one) then you need to be in map viewer classic. 

You don't need to worry about messing up your map viewer config so long as you don't save the map in map viewer classic.  Updating feature templates does NOT require you to save the map... it has its own save operation.  But, to avoid any map viewer configuration issues (which should only be a problem in Enterprise now) or accidents don't open your configured map in map viewer classic at all; just open the layer/feature service in a new/stand-alone map viewer classic and mess with your templates there, then there is nothing to mess up.  

Once you have updated your templates in MVC, then those fields will show up in the FM Web app templates.

As far as your other question is concerned, I don't think you can have separate templates for the master layer vs the view (not 100%). You either need to create all the templates in the master layer, including what you want in the view or go with dynamic default values using field calculations, edibility constraints, and probably some helper field or config your map to achieve what you want.  This will be much harder to do in Enterprise at the moment (but possible) and is still a bit hacky in AGOL.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
Lindsay
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @JustinReynolds . I am using ArcGIS Online. This has fixed my problem.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

This is on our list to address for the Fall release of Field Maps.

Adam_Bourque
Occasional Contributor

Any updates? 

0 Kudos