FieldMaps app iOS not Averaging existing vertices

Jump to solution
02-01-2022 08:03 AM
CarsonG
Occasional Contributor III

The field maps app for iOS in conjunction with Trimble Catalyst subscription, is not averaging existing vertices when updating existing lines or polygons.

It is also not averaging existing points in the data when updating their location  

The issue also appears to be affecting the android-based app.

Averaging is enabled in the collection settings.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@CarsonG is this only happening when using Trimble Catalyst? For example, have you tested with the integrated receiver on the device? What receiver model are you using?

When editing an existing feature, with averaging enabled, we should see the "add point" button change to "start averaging" but this only occurs when centered on your gps location. Please also ensure you have a valid fix and are centered on your location when editing. 

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, I should have clarified that! Tapping on the GPS tool will center on your location when editing existing features. We do not center in this scenario by default as the feature you are editing may not be at your current location. This is opposed to Collect with new features where we default to your current GPS location. I dont believe this behavior has changed recently; at least not intentionally. Let me know if I can clarify things any further for you or if you have any additional questions around this.

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@CarsonG is this only happening when using Trimble Catalyst? For example, have you tested with the integrated receiver on the device? What receiver model are you using?

When editing an existing feature, with averaging enabled, we should see the "add point" button change to "start averaging" but this only occurs when centered on your gps location. Please also ensure you have a valid fix and are centered on your location when editing. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
CarsonG

This is happening regardless of Trimble Catalyst use. It happens when the integrated GPS as used. It is happening on iPhone 11, iPhone 13 pro max, Samsung galaxy s20. 

We are using Trimble DA2 antennas

I have not tested on tdc600 yet but as it is android like the Samsung listed above I suspect the same. 

Yes, when I was in the field back in November, the operation you describe is what would occur. Now it doesn’t event update the existing points with the GPS location. It is updating the location to wherever the cursor/crosshair is, even if the cursor has not moved.

There also used to be two options when updating selected points, it was use target location or “start averaging”. Neither of these are present.

Creating new points, lines, or polygons averages the points/vertices but updating anything is not doing so. 

0 Kudos
CarsonG

I see the difference now. When you say centered on GPS, that is requiring you to hit the button on screen in the top right and corner of map and than start averaging appears.

It seems like this has been changed in a recent update as when I was using tdc600’s with DA1 antenna, the GPS location was automatic. 

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, I should have clarified that! Tapping on the GPS tool will center on your location when editing existing features. We do not center in this scenario by default as the feature you are editing may not be at your current location. This is opposed to Collect with new features where we default to your current GPS location. I dont believe this behavior has changed recently; at least not intentionally. Let me know if I can clarify things any further for you or if you have any additional questions around this.

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
CarsonG

Thanks for the responses Colin.

We just switched from TDC600’s to iPhones, so maybe I had just not updated our version of field maps on the TDC’s in a while, but that was not the normal operation for editing points or vertices. 

0 Kudos