Field Maps Storing Attachments with Duplicate Names

05-25-2023 11:45 AM
CarsonG
Occasional Contributor III

Field Maps is storing attachments with the same name. How is this prevented?

CarsonG_0-1685040213271.png

CarsonG_2-1685040328170.png

3 Replies
JustinReynolds

ATTACHMENTID and GLOBALID are the unique identifiers.  ATT_NAME can be anything.  Field Maps defaults to "Photo #" if you take or attach a photo, incrementing the photo number of the attachment name if more than one is added per feature.  Each new feature would start back at Photo 1.

Users can change the photo name in Field Maps after taking or attaching a photo. That is option 1. Option two involves Post Processing.

According to some conversations in Field Maps Early adopters, we will be seeing more options with attachments later in 2024 as far as inline attachments and automating naming based on Arcade could be a part of that.

Related post
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-questions/tag-label-or-name-photos-in-field-maps/td-....

- Justin Reynolds, PE
CarsonG

I am familiar with most of that. I still do not understand why FieldMaps would store 2 attachments with the same name on one feature.

I know both options of renaming photos. Renaming in the field is too time consuming of a process. We take 1000's of photos per site that we work on.

Renaming in post is what we currently do but when 2 photos have the same name, one of them will be overwritten.

Thanks for the info about future naming possibilities for attachments.

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds

I can't reproduce duplicate photo names in FM by default.  I can however produce duplicate names on the same feature by renaming the photos in FM.  We also rename post but we merge some fields together to ensure a unique name.  Something like {some_datetime_field}_{objectid}_{photoname}.  It would be nice if FM actively prevented duplicates on the same feature.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
0 Kudos