Field Maps not receiving NTRIP correction from Trimble Mobile Manager

Jump to solution
06-30-2021 05:05 AM
BRENNEJM
New Contributor III

At the beginning of the year I went through the workflow of setting up Field Maps and Mobile Manager with a Trimble R2. While not as clean of a solution as having GNSS built into the app like Collector, it did work. Since Collector is still available, and less of a hassle, I've still been using that.

I wanted to do some more testing with Field Maps today, and Field Maps no longer appears to be receiving corrected locations from Mobile Manager. I have corrections set up in Mobile Manager and a location profile set up in Field Maps. When I open Mobile Manager, it shows my status as RTK correction with 0.23 ft accuracy. When I open Field Maps, it shows my status as Differential GPS with 1.4 ft accuracy. Field Maps is not receiving the altitude data from Mobile Manager either, so I assume there is a larger issue going on here.

If I use Collector to connect directly to the Trimble R2, the NTRIP corrections work perfectly.

Device: iPhone 12 (iOS 14.6)

Field Maps: 21.2.0

Trimble Mobile Manager: 2.8.0

Issue.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BRENNEJM
New Contributor III

Thanks to ChrisRehak for his help in this post. Switching to the RTCM or the latest CMRx service provided by ODOT VRS worked for me. The old CMRx service never gets the NTRIP correction for some reason.

Once I had a working NTRIP service selected, the workflow suggestions from MiaogengZhang worked. So it does look like this is an issue with the NTRIP service being used.

And just so others are aware (not sure if this is intentional in the apps or not), Trimble Mobile Manager has a toggle switch for connecting to the Trimble. This switch DOES NOT need to be on for Fields Maps to get locations or corrections from TMM. I was getting corrections and altitude data in Field Maps, even though TMM still said the Trimble wasn't connected.

I actually think Field Maps was acting less glitchy and received corrections faster when TMM wasn't connected to the Trimble.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

We have seen 0 altitude before at iOS. But it happens randomly and it recovers soon. Here are a few things you can try to see if it addresses the issue. 

-- Make sure Trimble Mobile Manager is NOT connected to R2 before using Field Maps

- Switch location provider between R2 and  integrated, and switch back to R2

- Restart Field Maps

- Restart both R2 and iOS devices 

0 Kudos
BRENNEJM
New Contributor III

I attempted all these workarounds and none of them worked for me. These were attempted before and after updating the Trimble R2 firmware.

0 Kudos
Kyle_LocGov
New Contributor III

I am receiving 0 altitude values in Field Maps but my X and Y are accurate. I tried your suggestions with no luck. 

0 Kudos
Brian_Culpepper
New Contributor III

After having troubles using Field Maps on iOS 14.6 (iPhone SE/latest Field Maps (June, 2021)) I tried updating the Firmware on our Trimble R2 which was released in June, 2021- Version 5.51 (updated)

Trimble Release Notes for GNSS Firmware (view 16 June 2021 document here )

After updating the Firmware on the R2,  I was having success with connecting to the R2 and receiving GNSS (RTX) positions from the R2 within Field Maps.   THIS WAS NOT THE CASE IF I WAS OFFLINE without WiFi or cell service; when using an Offline-Map within Field Maps.. This is MY current issue with using Field Maps in Offline mode.  I fear its likely user error, but....  we shall see. 😉

I wondered if your firmware on your R2 may be slightly out of date, too.. 

Also, After establishing a connection between your mobile device and the R2 via Trimble Mobile Manager (TMM) are you closing TMM and still able to establish a connection to the R2?

Tips for Firmware Updates on the R2:

I've used this tutorial from Frontier Precision to help guide the Firmware Upgrade on our R2.

take care; good luck!

brian

0 Kudos
BRENNEJM
New Contributor III

Thanks for the firmware idea! I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, the issue persists after upgrading (see below). Luckily Collector still works great so at least I can use that while Esri figures out how to get Field Maps working.

ALSO this is after upgrading Field Maps to 21.2.1. So this issue is still alive in the newest version.

This issue wasn't present in one of the earlier versions of Field Maps when I tested it 5 or 6 months ago. So if anyone at Esri has access to those versions, you should be able to iteratively test each new version and determine when the issue arose.

NewExample.jpg

0 Kudos
Kyle_LocGov
New Contributor III

Brian, are you getting altitude values in Field Maps, too? I am not and am trying to find out why. 

0 Kudos
Brian_Culpepper
New Contributor III

yes the x, y, z values were written into the feature service GNSS metadata fields, but I cannot confirm which elevation those points represented (Orthometric or Ellipsoidal).   At the time I was glad to establish communication between the R2 and Field Map's on my iPhone...

0 Kudos
Kyle_LocGov
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply, Brian. 

0 Kudos
BRENNEJM
New Contributor III

Thanks to ChrisRehak for his help in this post. Switching to the RTCM or the latest CMRx service provided by ODOT VRS worked for me. The old CMRx service never gets the NTRIP correction for some reason.

Once I had a working NTRIP service selected, the workflow suggestions from MiaogengZhang worked. So it does look like this is an issue with the NTRIP service being used.

And just so others are aware (not sure if this is intentional in the apps or not), Trimble Mobile Manager has a toggle switch for connecting to the Trimble. This switch DOES NOT need to be on for Fields Maps to get locations or corrections from TMM. I was getting corrections and altitude data in Field Maps, even though TMM still said the Trimble wasn't connected.

I actually think Field Maps was acting less glitchy and received corrections faster when TMM wasn't connected to the Trimble.