Field Maps issue with location accuracy when paired with Trimble R2

Jump to solution
07-14-2021 08:48 AM
ChrisRehak
New Contributor II

Hello Field Maps Users, 

I've recently started testing Field Maps in preparation to migrate our fleet of Trimble R2's and iPads at the end of this year. Previously in Collector, NTRIP connections could be set up natively inside the application and it worked great for us. With Field Maps, it requires downloading a third party application called Trimble Mobile Manager which opens within Field Maps automatically once set up. 

The issue I've been running into is the consistency of external location accuracy between the two applications. In Collector, the fix type is consistently RTK Float with a correction age of 1-3 seconds. In Field Maps, the fix type jumps around between RTK Float and then back to Differential with correction ages routinely reaching 20 seconds or more. The NTRIP and profile setup between the applications is identical. 

Has anyone else experienced these issues? It doesn't add up that the same connections and hardware work correctly in Collector but not in Field Maps.

Hardware

• iPad 8th Gen
  • Trimble R2

Software

• iOS 14.6
  • Field Maps  21.2.1
  • Collector 21.0.1
  • Trimble Mobile Manager 2.8.0
  • Trimble R2 Firmware 5.51 (updated from 5.42)

Thanks for any help folks can provide,

Chris

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
ChrisRehak
New Contributor II

Here's our current hardware. You would need access to the admin GUI for your base station.

• Zephyr 3 Geodetic Dome Antenna
  • Trimble Alloy F950R40226 Receiver

When we first encountered this issue when we had multiple outputs setup on our I/O Config for NTRIP Caster 1. One output was for RTCM v3 and one for CMRx, so there were dual outputs on a single NTRIP Caster port. What we determined is Field Apps was having difficulty differentiating both outputs at the same time. To fix we went into our Trimble's I/O configuration, under an admin role, and modified the existing NTRIP Caster setup.

This meant disabling the CMR output, which was done with a simple dropdown menu and clicking "Disabled". Once this was completed and the NTRIP Caster port was restarted, it worked correctly. 

ChrisRehak_0-1637006215600.png

0 Kudos
RebeccabBoger
New Contributor II

Hello,

I think I am having a similar problem as described in previous posts. We have a R8 Trimble receiver with a TSC3 controller. We are using Trimble Mobile Manager and Field Maps to collect precision data. It is all connected in our system and we can collect data in Field Maps. However, the location in Field Maps is way over, 100 meters or more from actual location. What can be done to correct this? Thank you!

0 Kudos