Field Maps Folder not in 'On My Device' Directory.

Jump to solution
07-12-2021 07:21 AM
ngrid_ShelbyZ
New Contributor II

Hello,

My group is migrating to Field Maps and we use custom .tpk files for offline data collection. As far as I understand, the workflow to sideload a basemap is as simple as it was for Collector for ArcGIS -  drop the tpk into the On My Device > Field Maps folder, but the folder does not exist. Device iOS is 14.6, and Field Maps version 21.2.0 build 458.

Collector Classic, and Collector for ArcGIS both automatically created these directories. Is there something I'm missing from the Field Maps sideloading documentation? Why does the Field Maps folder not exist, despite the app being installed, and live maps functioning fine?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ngrid_ShelbyZ
New Contributor II

Problem solved by simply creating the Field Maps directory in the Files app, and copying the basemap into that directory. Not sure why the directory wasn't automatically generated like in past applications like Explorer and Collector for ArcGIS, but its working now. Hope this helps someone. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ngrid_ShelbyZ
New Contributor II

Problem solved by simply creating the Field Maps directory in the Files app, and copying the basemap into that directory. Not sure why the directory wasn't automatically generated like in past applications like Explorer and Collector for ArcGIS, but its working now. Hope this helps someone. 

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ngrid_ShelbyZ ,

The folder directory is not generated until a map is downloaded to the device. I believe this was also the case with Collector. Did you have the previous version of Field Maps installed, or had you installed from scratch? I would like to ensure there is not a problem installing over a previous version.

I do see you found a workaround. There is no problem with going about it that way given the folder is placed in the correct location and there are no typos. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
ngrid_ShelbyZ
New Contributor II

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your response. This was a fresh install for Field Maps. I straight away tried to put our groups TPK file on, but no folder existed. From what I now understand, if I downloaded any basemap (not our TPK) that the Field Maps and Basemaps folders would be generated. Interesting to know.  Wish that was in the ESRI technical documentation, but thank you very much for your quick response.

On a semi-related note, I've also seen documentation say that you need to put the basemap into the Basemaps folder, and also read on geonet forums that you need to put it in the Root 'Field Maps' directory. I have had success with both pathways, and only encountered errors when putting the map directly into basemaps folder.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@ngrid_ShelbyZ  I am glad I could help. You are correct in that this could be documented better. Perhaps we can add a note to the doc site you linked to earlier.

As for where the file is placed, in Field Maps there is logic to look in the root folder and disseminate the packages to the basemap folder automatically if they are detected on launch; however it should work with either method. Keep in mind you may need to close and relaunch the app for this to happen. I think that the behavior with Collector was slightly different. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin