Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps disclaimers for individual web maps

01-10-2024 03:56 PM
JackRogers
New Contributor

Hi All, interested to start a discussion on the use of disclaimers when accessing specific maps within Field Maps, similar to how disclaimers are used within other apps. 

Use case is a user needs access to near real-time data and this data is part of a web map that would be accessed in field, our company requires users accepting terms of use, ideally the acceptance/response could be flagged and written to a table for future auditing needs if required.

Interested to see if there is community interest in this topic. Thanks.

@JeffShaner 

3 Replies
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I work for a county. We currently only have disclaimers on public facing webmaps. We only use field maps for internal staff, so I give staff verbal disclaimers when I show them how to download field maps. We go over which datasets are view only and which are editable, where the data came from and what the goals are for data collection.

I show them how to edit and how they can break things on accident if they aren't careful etc.

Is your organization private or government? Are you going to grant access to each user or are you making your data publicly accessible so they can access it anytime without your knowledge?

As a work around you could create a polygon layer that covers your whole area that blacks out the map and has a pop up by default that they would have to read and close the pop up. Then they could go to the layer list to turn off the layer. Once they turned off the layer then it would stay off by default unless they turned it back on. So this doesn't really meet your criteria to force them to read it and force them to click on it each time they open the app.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

This sounds like a good idea to submit, not just for field map but perhaps something for the Map Specification... a type of "map message" or "map popup" perhaps that has capabilities for forcing users to accept conditions prior to using the map...  and perhaps other workflows of that nature.  This would be applicable to any application that is capable of loading a map.

JackRogers
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

Private organization with access granted by normal user credentials.

@Mark your thinking is along the lines of what we had in mind, any chance @JeffShaner has seen this?

0 Kudos