Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps App ONLY showing "On Device" apps/maps

06-11-2024 02:08 PM
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Not sure why this app always has some basic issue.  Opened it on my phone (as usual) yet all I can see are "On Device" - i.e. Offline Areas.  WHY?  All I can access from this intro page is my profile (yes cellular data is enabled) and the three apps that are downloaded to my device.  I cannot navigate anywhere else.

I just used this app two weeks ago, and I have multiple maps enabled for Field Maps that are not showing. Please Help(!).  How do I show every app/map?  I tried searching, as this was an issue last time wherein not every map is displayed and you need to search by substring/title.

IMG_6032.PNG

Thanks - Zach  | iphone

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ZacharyUhlmann1 , is your account on ArcGIS Online or Enterprise? A few of things you can try, assuming you have data/wifi connectivity on this device. First, try swiping down on the Maps list to reload it. If this does not work, swipe away the app to force close it and then relaunch it; this should attempt to re-connect to the portal. As a last resort, you can try signing out and then back in again. The app is restricted to only locally available maps when no connection to the portal is available. If you have verified you have connectivity one of the steps above should get your maps back and if not we can help dig further. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @ColinLawrence.  It wasn't related to the internet, I basically had to log out and log in again.  Closing and Opening had no effect.  Technically your approach worked, but seems the default for Field Maps issues is turn off and turn on again.  Had a12th hour nightmare last year involving catch-all error log forensics ("Exploded Map Package") with the remedy/solution in this forum from ESRI responder being - "rebuild the app from scratch" even though nothing in my protocol was incorrect.  

Field Maps / Pro symbiosis and functionality is a big selling point of the ESRI universe and it has a lot of issues. Poor UI should not be one of them, which is a huge part of the issue here.  The screenshot I shared has no forward or back arrows, no menu.  The only option is to click on my profile, tinker with cellular data preferences, and then log out.

thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Im glad that its working after signing in again. It sounds like you were previously signed in but the app had been idle for about two weeks, can you confirm this? It can be helpful to diagnose what might have went wrong. Your token should be valid for 90 days. 

I can also take back your UI feedback to the team. There should be a message displayed when we detect that there is no connectivity to the portal but that message may not be persistent or not showing for you for some reason. Ideally it would be clearer in any cases where a connection cannot be established. In most cases swiping down on the map list should attempt to reconnect to your portal and reload your maps and swiping away and reopening the app should fully re-load the portal and user so im surprised that didnt work for you. Signing in again should be a last resort. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos