Feature labels Not Visible in ArcGIS Field Maps Android App

Jump to solution
01-15-2021 08:14 AM
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

Hello

I have a water system map that has hydrants with a label for the hydrant ID number setup in my ArcGIS online map (hosted feature service).  When I open this map with the ArcGIS Field maps app (Android version 20.2.0), the hydrant ID labels do not display.

Is there a setting I need to turn on, or are labels not supported yet?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

HI @DanAllen ,

Labeling is supported in Field Maps so there may be something else going on. Was the labeling created in ArcGIS Online or in Desktop and do you see the labels in these platforms? Also, do you have a visibility range set on the labels; make sure you are within that if so. Please provide any other details about your label you can ie are you using a label expression, font, color, etc. Thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

HI @DanAllen ,

Labeling is supported in Field Maps so there may be something else going on. Was the labeling created in ArcGIS Online or in Desktop and do you see the labels in these platforms? Also, do you have a visibility range set on the labels; make sure you are within that if so. Please provide any other details about your label you can ie are you using a label expression, font, color, etc. Thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
DanAllen

Hey Colin,

Thank you so much for your reply, it helped me troubleshoot and figure out the cause.  I think I basically uncovered an inconsistency between ArcGIS.com and field maps.  In this case I wanted to give users the ability to turn on and off hydrant labels from the app.  So I copied the hydrant layer, with the copy version have labels turned on, and transparency at 100% and pop-ups turned off.  This works perfectly in ArcGIS.com map viewed with a desktop browser.  Sounds like the master level transparency slider does not affect labels in ArcGIS.com since they still display in the map, but does affect the labels when the same map is viewed in ArcGIS field maps app.  As a work around, I removed the master transparency from the hydrant copy layer, and went into the symbol itself and applied a 100% transparency.  Once I did that, I can see my labels in both the ArcGIS.com map and the ArcGIS Field maps app, and still have the ability to turn off my "labels layer" in the app when field crews don't need to see the labels.

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

Hi @DanAllen ,

Can you maybe share a screenshot of what you mean by 'master transparency slider'? I'm having the exact same issue that you first described. My labels show up no problem in my map and web app viewer but when I go into Field Maps, they labels do not load. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanAllen

This is very strange, I typed out a long reply documenting what was causing this problem, and it displayed in the post, but now it it gone.  Did you receive my previous reply?  Possibly I deleted it when I went to edit the reply?

Anyway to summarize my layer was labels only in ArcGIS.com map so I had the 100% transparency on the master level.  This worked fine in ArcGIS.com hiding the symbol and just displaying the label, but did not work in field maps.  So I removed the 100% transparency from the layer and instead applied it just to the symbol and this worked in Field maps.  Allowing the symbol to be invisible, and just the labels to show.

thanks

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Dan, I am glad you found the solution and appreciate the details. For the record, I do see both of your posts. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
ChristalMorris
New Contributor

hello.  I am having the same problem of the labels showing on the online portion of the map and not the field maps portion of the map.  My layer is not labelling only, so not quite sure where to make the corrections to be able to see the labels in field maps.  

thanks, 

Christal

0 Kudos