Failure to create Field Maps offline map areas in enterprise portal (10.8.1)

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 04:03 PM
LisaMcAleer
New Contributor III

Apologies if this is a repeat post, but I've not found anything to help so far.

I am having absolutely no success in creating Field Maps offline map areas in our enterprise portal (10.8.1) environment.  I have a very basic portal map consisting of one hosted (on the federated server) editable point feature layer and an esri-provided basemap (pick one).  My editable feature layer is synced and offline enabled (Capabilities:Create,Editing,Uploads,Query,Update,Delete,Sync,Extract). The map itself works fine on my device (android or iPad) in the Field Maps mobile app, and I can add an offline area from my device from the map when working within the mobile app.  However, from the Field Maps in Portal on my desktop, every effort to create an offline map area fails.  It runs for a bit and fails, and of course, there are no details as to why.  I really can’t imagine there is an issue with the map – it’s so very basic.  My extent is County – Neighborhood, which isn’t actually that large. The checkbox for Collector is checked. I see no errors in the in the Offline/Content area of Field Maps.

Nor have I been able to complete creating/uploading map tiles onto Portal – the process from Pro just keeps going and going.  Maybe that should tell me something’s not right on our Portal, but what?  I would prefer not to find workarounds and instead figure out how to create the offline areas, since they’re easiest for interns to download onto their devices.

I've read the blogs on taking maps offline to the best of my ability, and still nothing.  I can create offline areas on the device through the Field Maps mobile app, but I can't create offline areas in Portal/Field Maps.

Is anyone aware of any Portal or Field Maps or federated server options that might be prohibiting my creation of offline maps areas?  I was not the one to install Portal or Field Maps, so I’m not aware of any options that there might have been.  Any ideas are appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LisaMcAleer
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply, Jim!

SO.  Your reply got me thinking. Looong story short, in all the documentation I read about taking maps offline in Portal, I missed the following 2 short sentences:

“Esri basemaps are automatically enabled for offline use, but additional configuration is needed to use them in Collector for ArcGIS. See the Collector for ArcGIS documentation for instructions.”

I need to download the basemaps to our Portal from AGOL.  

Found the following, which I will be doing next.  I'm going to a$$ume this will fix my issue.  If not, I'll return....

Example: Prepare Esri basemaps for use in offline workflows

https://euclgis.reg.rw/portal/portalhelp/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/example-prepare-esri-ba...

View solution in original post

14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lisa, 

I had a similar problem on a 10.9.1 unfederated server. I was able to create and download the offline are through Field Maps but not through ArcOnline. My issue came to one of my layers not being secured on my server. Once I secured the service then added it to my ArcOnline with stored credentials, then I was able to package the offline area in ArcOnline. Hopefully this helps!

-Jim

0 Kudos
LisaMcAleer
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply, Jim!

SO.  Your reply got me thinking. Looong story short, in all the documentation I read about taking maps offline in Portal, I missed the following 2 short sentences:

“Esri basemaps are automatically enabled for offline use, but additional configuration is needed to use them in Collector for ArcGIS. See the Collector for ArcGIS documentation for instructions.”

I need to download the basemaps to our Portal from AGOL.  

Found the following, which I will be doing next.  I'm going to a$$ume this will fix my issue.  If not, I'll return....

Example: Prepare Esri basemaps for use in offline workflows

https://euclgis.reg.rw/portal/portalhelp/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/example-prepare-esri-ba...

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good luck!

0 Kudos
LisaMcAleer
New Contributor III

It worked!  We are good to go!  <Head shaking, heavy sigh>

ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

Hello @LisaMcAleer ,

I'm struggling to get the variable for this script established. Can you provide an example of how you did this in your script?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LisaMcAleer
New Contributor III

Hi!

So the script needs to go into the folder that contains the python.exe --  for us, that was C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.8.   Place the script into the folder exactly as you downloaded it.  

We then ran the script from the command prompt.  Once you navigate to your workspace, type in:

>>python prepareEsriBasemapsForOfflineUse.py –u <https://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname> -o <your portalUser name> -s <your portalPassword> –f <portal folder for Basemaps - optional> –a <your arcGISOnlineUser name> –p <your arcGISOnlinePassword>

It took us a few times to get it right, but it did work!  

Lisa

ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

You're a genius @LisaMcAleer ! Never would have figured that out. For whomever is reading this after me also know that the Portal Admin account used can NOT be a SAML authenticated one, but apparently, it must be a built-in portal account.

0 Kudos
LisaMcAleer
New Contributor III

YAY!  Glad to help, I know we sure struggled for a while!

0 Kudos
ChristopherBowering
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @LisaMcAleer .  I've stumbled upon this issue myself.  I'm able to create an offline area thru my mobile device but am unable to preemptively create them thru the WebMap in Portal.  I am using an ArcGIS Online basemap which I manually added to my Portal as an item.   I read the link you previously provided regarding preparing offline basemaps.  Does that script essentially do what I have done, just automated?  I am still having the same issue when using an ArcGIS Online basemap as an item.  Thanks!

0 Kudos