Elevation Attribute Population in Field

01-27-2021 05:56 AM
CarsonG
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way in field maps to have an attribute for elevation populate automatically after a point has been collected?

I would like the elevation attribute to populate when a feature is newly collected or updated.

When I published the data as a service for use in the field, the data had a vertical coordinate system. 

When I try to calculate the Z value in ArcGIS Online using Arcade Calculator using Geometry($feature).z, no results are returned.

If I export the data collected from the field to a GDB, the data has a Z value and can be populated using the calculate geometry tool in ArcMap. The data however no longer has a vertical coordinate system assigned to it.

22 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you @CarsonG 

0 Kudos
CarsonG

Hi Kevin,

I tried going the route you previously discussed and using arcade to calculate the Z value in the current map viewer. I then switched over to the map viewer beta, the values are blank. Additionally, values that I had in the field before have also been turned to blanks. 

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @CarsonG 

Would you be able to share a copy of your map with me to test out on my end? If so, please share the map/services with a group and invite the ArcGISFieldMaps users into it.

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
CarsonG

I will have to create a test set of data to do so. Once I have, I will let you know and share to the the group specified.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you @CarsonG 

0 Kudos
CarsonG

Hello Kevin,
I finally have some time to do the testing I wanted to do. I sent an invite to the user specified above. The group is called Elevation Field Maps Testing.

I am going to collect some test points in order to test the Arcade elevation calculation with the Trimble Mobile Manager GNSS output frame set to WGS84 and GEOID set to Geoid18. Additionally, I have created another Location Profile in Field Maps for this testing as follows;

GNSS coordinate System
GCS WGS 1984

Map coordinate system
WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere

Thanks!

0 Kudos
CarsonG

Hello @KevinBurke 

To give an update, I created a web map in which all data is in the same Coordinate System.

WGS 84 UTM Zone 17 N

Trimble Mobile Manager is set to;
Output Frame = WGS1984(current)
GEOID = Geoid18
Field Maps Location Profile is set to;
GCS WGS 1984
Map Coordinate System is set to;
WGS 1984 UTM Zone 17N

After collecting some test points in the field, I attempted to run Arcade and calculate the Z value for the Elevation attribute field. No results were produced. I then opened the map in the Beta Viewer and tried to see if the Z values were displaying. They were not. I know the correct Z value is being collected because when I open the data in ArcPro, I can calculate the Elevation field and produce the correct Z value.

This is not the solution I need, as it would still be beneficial if x, y, and z fields could be calculated on the fly inside Field Maps.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you for the information @CarsonG 

Just for clarification, the map includes a point layer that is Z-enabled, however when you attempt to use arcade to calculate the z value into a field using something like geometry($feature).z, nothing is populated. Is that correct?

In ArcGIS Pro, are you using Calculate Geometry to display the Z value?

Would you be able to share that map with me with some test data?

Thank you

-Kevin

CarsonG

Yes, the point layer is Z enabled. When I used Arcade to calculate values into the elevation field, nothing is populated. In Pro I used the Calculate Geometry to display a Z value.

I sent an invite to a group called ElevationFieldMapsTesting to the user "ArcGISFieldMaps" you specified previously.

0 Kudos
Kyle_LocGov
New Contributor III

PlutoGIS, I'm having similar issues. Are you still checking this account and if so can I pick your brain?

0 Kudos