Default Values not working in Field Maps Mobile

252
4
Jump to solution
11-15-2021 07:26 AM
KristinThorpe1
New Contributor III

I have a hosted feature layer named "Construction" that I am using to show the location of construction site projects. When I add a new point, I want the "Construction Phase" field to default to "Active Site" (aka domain 7). As far as I can tell, the feature layer is set up correctly to assign this default value. If I use Map Viewer to add a new point, the Construction Phase defaults to "Active Site" like I want, but when I use Field Maps mobile, the default is not assigned. This work flow will most likely be used with Field Maps mobile and will create issues down the road if the default value is not set. 
Am I missing something? Why is the default value not being set in Field Maps but working everywhere else?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougGreen
Occasional Contributor

Kristin, I'm not sure what's going on with yours and I just realized yours is a hosted feature layer. We have a non-hosted enterprise feature layer. But here's what just fixed it for us.

  1. Remove the defaults on the layer and save
  2. Add the defaults back and save

For us, we had to republish, but with yours being hosted, I'm not sure you can republish. But you could simply try removing the defaults and re-adding them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DougGreen
Occasional Contributor

We are just experiencing the same issue after upgrading our ArcGIS Enterprise to 10.9.1. It was working before the upgrade in Field Maps and is no longer working. This post indicates that it might be an issue with Editing Templates and that templates are only going to be supported for hosted feature layers. We have a lot of benefits of managing our own data in an enterprise GDB and don't like the thought of moving all of our enterprise data to the hosted environment. However, in my opinion, if it was working before, and now it's not, this would have needed a deprecation notice since we have lot's of workflows built on our enterprise feature services. Therefore, I think this feels like a bug.

JeffGearhart1
New Contributor

I am also seeing the same issue with default values not appearing when data is collected using Field Maps and the older Collector app. Our asset management system relies on these default values in order for our GIS assets to successfully sync over. We would also prefer not to use hosted feature layers as we have built our system using an Enterprise GDB. 

DougGreen
Occasional Contributor

Kristin, I'm not sure what's going on with yours and I just realized yours is a hosted feature layer. We have a non-hosted enterprise feature layer. But here's what just fixed it for us.

  1. Remove the defaults on the layer and save
  2. Add the defaults back and save

For us, we had to republish, but with yours being hosted, I'm not sure you can republish. But you could simply try removing the defaults and re-adding them.

0 Kudos
KristinThorpe1
New Contributor III

Hi Doug! Thanks for the insight. I believe I ended up republishing the layer and that seemed to fix the issue. When I first published, I didn't set a default value, so I went into the REST service and did it that way which only worked half the time. When I republished, the default was set from the get-go and the problem was fixed. Not sure exactly what happened, but looks like a classic "have you tried turning it off and back on again" solution!