Collecting GPS-data for nature trails

04-20-2021 10:28 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

Im want to collect GPS location data from my android phone. But, it's very confusing which app I should pick, if there even is a app that can do this. I've heard of QGIS with GPX and another module (can't remember the name) where you can do this with your IOS or android phone. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm assuming you mean collecting data in the field, here

Collector or Field Maps (Collector but with added functionality) work pretty well for collecting the physical shapes, so long as you have a general idea of what you want to collect, since you have to set up a layer before you get out there.

Field Maps has the added function of also being able to format your data collection so that you don't see fields that aren't relevant; for example a group of fields that are only supposed to be populated if you answer 'Yes' to a question.

Once you get into it, you can work really efficiently with Collector/Field Maps, and it allows for multiple users to be working on it (versus having one GPS for the entire team). 

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Also wanted to add that you can (very easily) set it up to attach photos to whatever you're collecting, which can be really helpful for documenting damage or if you find a plant that you're not sure about and want to return later or something.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'd like to throw QuickCapture out there, too. Very nice for grabbing simple features like trails, points of interest, amenities, etc.

Also, the Esri field apps should allow you to connect to an external GPS unit for high-precision data capture, if that's important to your efforts. We use a Bad Elf unit together with a basic Samsung tablet for our field data.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for all the answers, much appriciated. I'll give collector, field maps or QuickCapture a go then.

Quite interesting with the GPS reciever, jcarslon. Might be a future gadget to invest or something similar. 

0 Kudos