change SubType value doesn't update associated domain values

12-07-2021 04:37 PM
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

In Field Maps, I have set up a subtype so that I can control the values available in following fields.

So, if they add a sign, it will ask what type, if "Warning" is selected, the next field will only show the values from Wcode domain, if they pick "Regulatory", the next field will only show values from the Rcode domain and so on.

This seems to be working properly, however, if they pick "Warning", they get the Wcode list for the next field (as expected), now, if they change the subtype to "Regulatory", it still only shows the values from the Wcode field, not the Rcode field as set up in the SubType.

The only way I have found to get it to update is to abandoned that feature, discard edits, then add a "new" feature and pick the "Regulatory" SubType on the first go.

Anyone else run into this and have a solution?

Thanks,

R_

2 Replies
JonathanFischerFDOT
New Contributor

Yes, I'm having that issue recently as well, but it's occurring in Field Maps and also Collector and web apps with an edit widget.  I have noticed that if you save the value on the type field and close the editing session, when you reopen the edit window/widget all the domains are at least populated properly.

For Field Maps and mobile OS versions of Collector, if the type field is changed, none of the associated other fields have the domain updated and the templates for the subtypes don't apply to overwrite the values.  The only exception seems to be on Windows 10 Collector, if you select to "reset" the fields in the warning box then it does work correctly.

For the web apps, it mostly seems to work except when switching back to the original value on the record.  As an example, if the type value is set to 3, if I change it to 1, 2, 4, or 5, it works to update the other fields, but it won't change back to the 3 value subtype domains unless you cancel edits or save as 3 and reopen the edit pop-up.

The issue is happening for me on some hosted feature service views, where I modified the type fields in the service definition for the views from REST, since each of the views have different fields visible and subtypes applied for different scenarios. However, I created a new geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro, set some test fields, domains, and subtypes in Pro, and published that as a hosted feature service to AGOL.  That published test service exhibits the exact same behavior even with all the additional new definition fields and however Pro writes the definition, so I don't think it's an issue with the service definition but maybe something with AGOL and/or the apps.

I would also like to know if anyone else has run into this or has a solution, but maybe it's related to the recent AGOL update in December as well?

JustinKraemer
New Contributor II

I am glad to know I am not alone in this. I just discovered this happening for me in Field Maps.  Unlike the proper behaviour seen in ArcGIS Pro, the road sections domain does not update when the patrol subtype field is changed. This means users cannot pick the correct road section if they are in a different patrol.