Can we turn off the 'zoom to current location' function when collecting a new point in Field Maps?

Jump to solution
03-03-2021 01:07 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We're building out a field map to be used while reviewing video and every time they collect a point the application zooms them to their current location. The crew performing this work will be in office or at home so having to pan back to the project area is time consuming and a bit confusing. 

I can't seem to figure out how to turn this off for this map? Our thought for a work around is to have the guys turn their cellular data off while doing this work but that seems sloppy. 

Any ideas are welcome! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Do not use the collect feature button.  Instead, if you tap and hold on the map a magnifier cross-hair will appear.  Position your finger over the location to be collected and release. This drops a pin with the option to "Collect Here".  Select the feature type to collect and press "Submit".  The map stays where you are working.  Hope I understood your question correctly.

Note, the magnifier is showing the area under your finger tip and this is where the pin will be dropped.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Do not use the collect feature button.  Instead, if you tap and hold on the map a magnifier cross-hair will appear.  Position your finger over the location to be collected and release. This drops a pin with the option to "Collect Here".  Select the feature type to collect and press "Submit".  The map stays where you are working.  Hope I understood your question correctly.

Note, the magnifier is showing the area under your finger tip and this is where the pin will be dropped.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you! This is perfect! I'm so glad there's an easy solution! 

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @LanceCole  and @Anonymous User ,

I would also like to see the 'Zoom to current location' disabled or have the option to disable. Our organization is using Field Maps for aerial surveys and time is very limited in documenting observations. One surveyor said that using the work around above of 'Collect Here' adds an additional step compared to just clicking the 'Add +' button where the menu of editable features is immediately visible. These folks have been using ArcPad for a number of years and have their methods fine-tuned for using apps for aerial surveys. I'm going to add this as an idea for Field Maps I would imagine a lot of folks don't want the default to be zoomed to an area. I mean if they are making these apps for folks surveying hydrants and have a lot of time they might not see this as an issue, but currently it causes a lot of unnecessary zooming on the app.

Thanks!,
Kathy

Bili
by
New Contributor III

I also had a similar problem so I removed from the base map a local map and left only a world map and then I was able to do Zoom Out

0 Kudos
HillarySherrill
New Contributor II

The dropped pin and collect here work around does not appear to work if you are creating a feature that is related (parent to child relationship).  

JTLancer
New Contributor II

I agree with @HillarySherrill on this.  The suggested solution does not work when trying to add a related feature.  When I select the feature and try to add a related point, it zooms to the current location.  This is fine if you are out in the field standing in the correct location, but if you are somewhere else or configuring and testing the app from your desktop, this becomes annoying very quickly.  

CourtneyWatson
New Contributor III

Finding the same issue with related features.  The workaround I found for this was to turn off location services on a device.  Worked with an iPad and Phone but unsure how this will go on a PC.

0 Kudos