Can I draw a graphic in Field Maps using a link?

Jump to solution
04-23-2021 03:49 PM
MattStayner
Occasional Contributor II

I want to use a link to open Field Maps and show the user a polygon graphic. Is that possible?

I see in this article that I'm supposed to be able start collecting a feature using geometry. I don't really need to collect a feature, I just need to draw a graphic. Is that possible?

I'm guessing the answer is "not possible". If that is the case, then I will be happy with being able to add the feature to a GIS layer. I tried using this link to do that. It opens the correct map, but that's it. I don't see the polygon, and the app doesn't go into "collection" mode. What am I doing wrong?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

If you share the markup to a user via email, text, etc.  It shares as a .markup file.  When they click on it, it will open field maps showing the markup.

I suppose you could upload the markup to something like Dropbox or box and then share the link to the file in Dropbox or Box to a user.  This could be further automated using something like Integromat to send an email of the link to the user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewBowne

You can draw a markup graphic in Field Maps then share that to a user via email, text, AirDrop, etc...

See this link (Share Markup):

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/ios/help/markup.htm

0 Kudos
MattStayner

Andrew,

The markup graphic looks perfect. Is there a way I can create that using an app link? I basically want to provide the link to a user, and have the user click on the link, which would open Field Maps and draw the polygon on as a markup.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

If you share the markup to a user via email, text, etc.  It shares as a .markup file.  When they click on it, it will open field maps showing the markup.

I suppose you could upload the markup to something like Dropbox or box and then share the link to the file in Dropbox or Box to a user.  This could be further automated using something like Integromat to send an email of the link to the user.

0 Kudos
MattStayner

Andrew,

Thanks for explaining. Yes, I really like the markup workflow where I could send it to a user and when they open it, it opens it Field Maps.

The only issue is, I want to generate the markup on my side, not in Field Maps. Is there documentation on how to manually create a .markup file?

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

"..I want to generate the markup on my side.." - Do you mean in an application other than Field Maps (i.e. ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online....)?  If so, then I don't believe there is a way to do that.  This sounds like a great thing to post on the Ideas page!  Try posting your idea there and see if it gets some traction.  From what I understand, Esri monitors that page for user suggestions.

The only other thing you could do is create a feature service that you edit on the desktop side and it updates your clients.  Not the best but it would work.

0 Kudos
MattStayner

Hi Andrew,

I want to generate a .markup file on my server. I figured out how to do it. Thanks for all of your help!

Matt

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

Great!  I'm curious to hear how you generated it on your server.  Can you provide some steps?

0 Kudos
MattStayner

@AndrewBowne,

We exported a markup file from Field Maps and examined it and created code to create something similar. It works great! It would be awesome if Esri would document the markup syntax. I think a markup file is a great point of integration for Esri business partners like us.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

Great solution!  Yes, I agree that some sort of desktop or server solution to share out markups would be very beneficial.

Maybe suggest it on the Ideas page?

0 Kudos