Select to view content in your preferred language

Basemap TPK files created with Field Maps (iOS v23.2.3) and offloaded to Windows computer not useable with ArcGIS Pro 3.1

08-10-2023 03:26 PM
WillyLynch3
New Contributor III

A common mobile workflow is to create ad hoc offline areas using Field Map app with iOS device.  This creates the mobile geodatabases and associated basemap files. These can then be offloaded to a Windows device as backup or for temp use.  In the past, the "TPK" and other data was useable in ArcGIS Pro.  The vector data is still useable but the "old school" TPK files do not display in ArcGIS Pro.  They can be added to a map and are in the TOC but do not display in the map window.   This used to work and was a nice alternative to creating some project offline basemaps.  The TPK files created were not the best as TPKX files are better.  Any thoughts on coming improvements to Field Maps creating TPKX files from basemaps such as World Imagery or others? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Good afternoon,

Can you tell me some more about the use case behind this workflow? What is the end goal of the workflow?

Thank you,

Kerri

0 Kudos
WillyLynch3
New Contributor III

The primary reason to offload mobile maps (vector data & basemaps) is backup as well as when there are SYNC issues.  There is an excellent support article at: How To: Access Offline Edits from ArcGIS Field Maps Directly from an iOS Device (esri.com)

All this works great! 

My current issue is with the "saved" TPK file.  It seems that when now created with the ad hoc map downloading, these TPK files are not valid with ArcGIS Pro.  I would think that Field Maps will soon be creating TPKX files rather than the older TPK files.  But do not recall seeing any discussion.  

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

For backups, I would recommend making a local copy of the data using ArcGIS Pro and the Feature Class to Feature Class Geoprocessing tool (or any other method you would like to take your online data offline), this will only get the data that has been synced to your online layer, but you can hold on to those backups as long as needed and either store them on your local drive or on a file server, and it's a much faster process. 

When it comes to syncing are you regularly running into issues with syncing your data? If so, I would like to hear more about the issues you are facing. 

0 Kudos
WillyLynch3
New Contributor III

The question is not about the vector data. All that works perfectly.  SYNC issues not common but backing up data from mobile device to laptop without network is common workflow to ensure data is not lost with damaged, lost or stolen mobile device in the field with no network. 

The question is about the TPK file created by Field Maps not being valid with ArcGIS Pro. In the recent past, they were but are no longer.    Hopefully Field Maps will again create basemap packages that can work with ArcGIS Pro.  

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Thank you for the additional information on your workflow, it's helpful to understand your whole workflow. I do have a few additional questions for you. Are you using ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise, and if ArcGIS Enterprise, what version? For your basemaps are you using Esri tile services or your own tile services? And lastly, what version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
WillyLynch3
New Contributor III

Currently using ArcGIS Online but previously had same issue with ArcGIS Enterprise 9.1

The basemaps are Esri Tile services such as "Imagery"-- https://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer

ArcGIS Pro is current version and patch AGP 3.1.2

For your information, if I take the same service offline in AGP via Map Download, it correctly creates a *.TPKX file.  Field Maps create the older *.TPK file.

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Thank you for the additional information you provided and your patience. After some testing and research on my end I have found that the workflow you mentioned above is still supported in ArcGIS Pro as are .tpk files, I’ve included a link here with more information on the .tpk files. Since you had stated earlier that this process was working for you but recently stopped working I would recommend opening a case with Esri Tech Support since this is not expected behavior.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/contact

0 Kudos