Assets and Observations in Field Maps

Jump to solution
06-04-2021 05:07 PM
RuthSpell1
New Contributor II

In reading the Field Maps documentation, the terms "assets" and "observations" are used frequently.   What exactly do these terms mean?   Are they just new terms for "features"?    Is there a difference between an asset and an observation?  

I read a blog or post somewhere that explained what these terms meant but I can no longer find it.

It would be easier to understand the Help documentation if I had a clear understanding of what these terms mean.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

They mean you can use Field Maps to capture anything you want. If you want to capture and maintain "assets" then Field Maps will do it. If however you want to collect "observations" then Field Maps will do it too. Maybe generally people think of an asset as a physical item: park bench, water pipe etc., but an observation as a record of something that occurred at a date\time: a traffic accident, spotted some fauna, measured water temperature etc.

I think that by using both terms, it indicates to people that Field Maps is not just an asset management system, but can do other things as well - all the underlying technology and processes are exactly the same for both scenarios.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

They mean you can use Field Maps to capture anything you want. If you want to capture and maintain "assets" then Field Maps will do it. If however you want to collect "observations" then Field Maps will do it too. Maybe generally people think of an asset as a physical item: park bench, water pipe etc., but an observation as a record of something that occurred at a date\time: a traffic accident, spotted some fauna, measured water temperature etc.

I think that by using both terms, it indicates to people that Field Maps is not just an asset management system, but can do other things as well - all the underlying technology and processes are exactly the same for both scenarios.

RuthSpell1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Tim.     That clarifies it.   I wasn't sure if an observation was referring to a "feature" (point, line, or polygon feature) or if it was referring to a related record - like from an inspection or monitoring of an asset.   

Thanks for the clarification.  

Ruth

0 Kudos