ArcGIS Locator in Offline Map Areas

02-17-2021 02:49 AM
Rose_Geater
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a solution that uses offline map areas for field workers to download in ArcGIS Field Maps. They have a vector tile package (.vtpk) sideloaded on the device for the base mapping. 

Is there any way to include the ArcGIS Locator in this offline scenario? From what I can tell to include the ArcGIS Locator you would need to have it in a map package and sideload the entire thing. This would prevent users from being able to easily sync edits and get updates to features edited by others which are key in this scenario. 

The method works well, other than I cannot work out if there is any way to include the locator? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

Hi Rose,

Can you describe the workflow you would be using with a locator? Have you tried enabling feature search in the web map to see if that fits your needs? Users will be able to search for attributes from specific layers and the search capabilities will work with offline areas and they will be able to search for newly-synced features that other uses have added.

0 Kudos
Rose_Geater
New Contributor II

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your response. Feature search is great for searching the features on the map, but we were hoping to be able to use address search as well, hence the locator. Would the only option be to add address points to the map and enable feature search on these?  Thanks - Rose 

0 Kudos
ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

Hi Rose,

If the majority of the work is being done while in a disconnected environment (which I'm assuming it is hence the offline areas), then you would have to use a mobile map package to deliver the locator. If you are using an offline area but you are in a connected environment then searching for an address will still return a result from the locator configured in your AGOL organization.

If the majority of your work is done offline then your best bet will be to use an mmpk for the locator and an offline area for collecting and syncing data edits and users would need to switch between the two.

If you can share any more about your workflow we might be able to make additional recommendations. Adding address points to the map and using Feature Search would work for a single map workflow that would be available online or offline.

Chris

0 Kudos
Rose_Geater
New Contributor II

Hi Chris, 

Thanks very much and I appreciate your response. This solution is going to be used by over 1000 users as the idea was to keep the interface as simple as possible as training so many users to switch between two different offline maps would not be practical. The offline areas work really well and it's great the locator can be used while a connection is available. What would be great is for offline areas to be able to include the functionality of mobile map packages. We want to make the offline experience as seamless and transparent to users as possible, and switching between maps is a big sticking point, hence working solely in the offline areas with auto-sync. 

Thanks - Rose

0 Kudos