ArcGIS Field Maps: Offline Areas Failed to Download - 'Feature tiling disabled'

12-13-2021 10:21 AM
JeremiahJones
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone else has been having this issue. I can set up an offline area in the Field Maps online web application, then when I try to download that offline area on Field Maps Mobile (tested on two android devices) I receive the "Offline Areas Failed to Download" Error and the log tells me that feature tiling is disabled. Now this is frustrating. However, when I create on offline area in the Field Maps Mobile App, the map is created an downloads just fine. 

I assume this is an ESRI bug but I want to air it out on the forum first to see if anyone else is replicating this issue elsewhere.

37 Replies
USI_Consultants
New Contributor II

I know this was a few months ago, but did you ever get a resolution from ESRI? I'm experiencing the same issue and have been digging through the threads trying to find an answer. 

Thanks!

Kayla, USI Consultants INC.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have you been adding a lot of data, especially with attachments?

The more data you have, the larger the offline area will get, especially if you are downloading attachments with the offline area as well.  Might have enough data/attachments in there now that the same sized area is too large.

R_

0 Kudos
KWilliams
New Contributor III

Hello - I am also having this same issue. This is my first ever field maps that I've created, and first collection I've ever managed, so I'm figuring this all out from scratch. Our field crews are attaching upwards of 20 photos per point. They asked if they could take the maps offline, and I want to tell them yes but I've been testing and having these same issues mentioned above.

They are adding points along a line that runs a few hundred feet, so decreasing download map size doesn't seem tangible. I attempted various suggestions from above, none are working for me. Just for troubleshooting purposes, I played around and downloaded down the size of a neighborhood parcel and that failed. 

I figure it's been 2 months since the last comment on this post. Does anyone have any updates or suggestions? Again, brand new, any and all advice/suggestions are welcome. 

TristanRota
New Contributor

Hello,

I am bringing up this post. We have the same (very ennoying) issue with offline areas here. I create them on the web app and impossible to download them on the phone. Their size is 206Mo though, which is ridiculously small for a basemap... We are working in remote areas in Africa, this functionality is essential and I don't fully understand why this problem is still ongoing since more than 6 months now. We were willing to develop the use of ESRI app inside the company, but we are more and more thinking about finding other solutions.

JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

JoabelBarbieri_0-1662127189919.png

It happens all the time in some maps. All layers are sync enabled and it still won't download. Even on FMA Beta it won't work. ESRI please, we need a solution to this.

SBrandenburg
New Contributor III

Certain layers when shared from ArcGIS Pro as Web Layers will prevent Offline Areas from downloading. It is a pain but export any layers you want as hosted feature services in the map to shapefiles, zip them, then import these zipped shapefiles into your ArcGIS Online folder, choosing the add and create feature service option. I underwent fairly extensive testing with an ESRI analyst on this, and while they weren't sure what the issue was, this workaround did work, and I was able to take maps offline that I previously wasn't able to. Note when when maps failed and this workaround helped, I was just getting a generic "Download failed" error message in Field Maps. Hope this helps some of you. 

JoabelBarbieri

Unfortunately it won't work for me as my layer is shared (sync/update) with hundreds of people in the field. If I do that all the versions and collected data will be lost

0 Kudos
SBrandenburg
New Contributor III

What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using? I begrudgingly updated to 2.9.4 and it did resolve the issue of sharing web layers then not being able to take web maps offline with those layers in them. 

JoabelBarbieri

version 3.1.2

0 Kudos
TravisSizemore
Occasional Contributor

Kit,

Thanks for the workaround, and I have done this as well to fix other mysterious bugs in publishing feature layers. I just want to add that people should be aware of the limitations of shapefiles so that you're not caught off guard. The main ones I think that would apply in this situation are the 10-character field name limit and the inability to make relationship classes, domains, and subtypes. I can't remember now, but there were a few other pesky issues that manifested when I tried this method. I agree with Joabel that this is a major limtiation and needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos