ArcGIS Field Maps crashing when opening side loaded MMPKs

08-05-2021 12:38 PM
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I hope someone can help me. This is complicated.

Until 3 July, my installation of Field Maps was working fine and I had many MMPKs and TPKs (for Basemaps) side loaded on my device.  I had a Tracker for ArcGIS license issued to my Administrator user role.  Then on the 5 July, as I was traveling into a remote area, suddenly the app would not open and it would get stuck on the opening blue screen (for hours).  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the but that would not work. 

The app would open, and one can download and open MMPKs, but as soon as I sideload a MMPK onto the device, then the app will crash and close when opening a side-loaded MMPK. I even tried using the latest beta version of the app, the side-loaded MMPK will open once, but thereafter the app wont open and it will get stuck on the opening blue screen and not progress past that.

These MMPKs are ones that worked before, and they now work perfectly on the ArcGIS Explorer app (I am resorting back to my old friend), but not in Field Maps. Crashes every time I try to open them

I have tried signing in with different AGOL accounts (I have access to 3, 1 without Tracker), but that doesn't change anything. I even tried installing and opening up a side-loaded MMPK on my Samsung tablet and that also crashed. Makes me think the error may be with my AGOL account, but why does the same thing happen when I sign in using a different account?

Perhaps related, our AGOL organization account was renewed in July but our Tracker licenses were not immediately added. They are activated now but that does not change anything.

I hope there may be an easy answer to this.

Best wishes

Mervyn

11 Replies
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi @MervynLotter ,

May I ask what device model(s) you've tested with and the OS version on it?
Was there a recent OS version upgrade carried out around the time we started seeing the freezing/crashing behaviour?

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Hi Glen

So I have done some more testing, with a Field Worker account this time, and it still crashes when trying to open a side-loaded MMPK. I did try downloading a few more MMPKs from AGOL and they all open successfully.  And just to confirm that the same behavior (crashing when opening side loaded apps) is happening on both my Android phone and  Android tablet. But not in ArcGIS Explorer which opens the side-loaded MMPKs on both devices.

Phone specs: Samsung Galaxy A72 (model SM-A72F) running Android 11. Software update installed on the 4 July 2021! You may be onto something.

Tablet specs: Galaxy Tab A (2016) with S Pen running Android 8.1.0. System software updated 1 July 2021.

Best wishes

Mervyn

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

So the behaviour started occurring for the phone, the day after upgrading to Android 11...
However the Samsung tablet is on Android 8 and experiencing the same behaviour...

Have you tested with any other sideloaded MMPK files? or just the one?

How large is the file? Are you able to provide it for testing on my end?

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Hi Glen

I have tested about 8 MMPKs that all failed. I am happy to share a few with you.  Please provide me with a way to share them with you.

Regards

Mervyn

0 Kudos
CA_NC_-_MarkWasser__GISS_
New Contributor III

Mervyn & Glen - I just tried a side load of a mmpk into Field Maps for the first time and our group is experiencing similar behavior. Map crashed when opened in Field Maps on 2 of the 3 Android devices I loaded on to (crashes on Pixel 3 and Saumsung Tab A, works on Tab Active 2 - not sure about OS on these devices needed to get crew out this morning). The same mmpk works fine in Explorer on the same devices. It is about 1gb in size. 

Glen - any updates on this? Has this been logged as a bug?

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

@MervynLotter ,

The issue has been logged as a bug for the current version of ArcGIS Field Maps on Android.

It's been reproduced at OS version 11 for the following devices:

• Google Pixel 3a XL

• Samsung Galaxy Note 8

• Samsung Galaxy M31

• Oppo A52

If you could confirm the devices and Android OS versions you're reproducing it with, I'll add them to the defect description.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Hi Glen

You can add:

• Samsung Galaxy A72 (model SM-A72F) running Android 11

•  

Galaxy Tab A (2016) with S Pen running Android 8.1.0. 

Regards

Mervyn

0 Kudos
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Same happening here. OnePlus. We need a solution ASAP !

0 Kudos
DanKaisershot1
New Contributor

Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro

Android 11

US Forest Service Mobile Office Management (CIO device management)

Field Maps v 21.2.2

Able to view MMPK's uploaded from local to AGOL then downloaded to phone. Same files crash the app when side loaded. Can't view my downloaded files if mobile data is off, a required feature for my project. I was directed to the Palm Springs Mobile Map Package (Learn_ArcGIS) to test which is viewable when mobile data is off. It also crashes the app when sideloaded. 
https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5fe4934158104de3802965d5dddff4a3

Will test the latest beta version posted 10/8/21 by ChrisDunn1. 

Update: Device security prevents loading beta version of the app.

0 Kudos