Field Maps Screen Rotation/Orienatation

01-12-2021 10:43 PM
MatthewGeorge
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to see the Field Maps app for Android include the ability to rotate the screen, i.e. having the mobile device in a landscape orientation would see the app re-orientate to suit and when the device is moved back to portrait the app return to a portrait orientation. This would help for all of our field workers that use this for navigation when the tablet is mounted in their vehicles.

Tags (3)
14 Comments
ColinLawrence

Hi @MatthewGeorge ,

What type of device are you using? Field Maps does support app rotation with full size tablets.

Regards,

Colin

MatthewGeorge
ColinLawrence

Thanks Matt,

The Tab Active line (or at least the 8" versions) do not support landscape view in Field Maps (or Collector/Explorer) due to the restricted size. I am not sure if that will always be the case but for now that is expected. 

Regards,

Colin

GrahamWood-HWC

It would be great to see this functionality 

Trimbles New TSC5 controller is a landscape device with android 10. it would be an ideal tool for Field Maps.

AndreasKirkby

Yes I vote for the TSC5 from Trimble as well, as it is great with a android unit with keypad when doing surveys. 

AJS
by

Agree with the posters above. It would be nice to see Field Apps work with any Android or IOS app in landscape or portrait mode. 

ColinLawrence

@MatthewGeorge Update: We should support rotation on the Tab Active 2 device at our next Android release (21.4). The cutoff for rotation is at 601 dpi (which is not typically readily available on device product pages) or roughly screens around 7". 

Regards,

Colin

Fierman

The issue is still not fixed, there is NO option in field maps to rotate the screen. Autorotation only works for a specific set of Android devices, if the device is not in the Esri supported list, it will automatically display in portrait mode.

In our organisation we use 10" android tablets, where the display is always in portrait mode and we have no option to set it in landscape.

Please add an option where the user can rotate the display.

AdrianaDelucchi

We use apple iPad Pros and the ability for the screen orientation to change with the direction that the GPS is traveling would be a wonderful added benefit that would greatly improve our data collection.

JohnLFlorio

We produce a 7" Android tablet (Mesa 3) and continue to get many inquiries from customers when Field Maps will support landscape orientation. The device is Android 11 and has a display resolution WXGA 1280 x 800.