Copy Feature From Read-Only to Editable Layer on iOS App

04-06-2021 02:29 PM
DanMakridakis
New Contributor III

Please add the same copy/paste functionality that exists on Android, in both Collector and Field Maps, to iOS!!

I need my field crews to be able to copy assets from our read-only master utility network to an editable feature service and have the geometry and all the common attributes auto populate. It has worked very well this way on Android for a long time (even in Collector Classic). I don't get why this can't be added to iOS.  Of course my organization only uses iPads in the field.

On iOS the only time a user can copy an asset to a new asset is if it's within the same editable layer. On Android you can select any read-only asset, hit copy, and then paste to any editable feature service asset of the same shape type.

**See Workflow Example in Comments Section**

Existing Functionality Comparison

Below are screenshots comparing the Android functionality to iPad using the same exact map. I tested this process in both Field Maps and Collector on both devices. The results are the same across both apps within the respective device.

Android - Read-Only to Editable: My screenshots demonstrate how I am able to copy from any read-only layer into any editable layer (of the same shape type) with all common attributes and location carrying over. I demonstrated this for both a point and line feature.

iPad - Read-Only to Editable: In my screenshots you can see that the copy button is missing for both points and lines on a read-only layer. It appears only for an editable layer.

Android & iPad - Editable to Editable: I am able to copy an editable feature on both the iPad and Android, however it will only make an exact copy into the same editable layer without the option to chose a different template or editable layer. Additionally, the copy automatically appears at your GPS location. Would be helpful to have a choice to use the copying features location or update with your location. The new snap capability helps with this, except if you're duplicating a feature in a completely different area.

Android Line - Read Only to Editable

Android - RO Line 1 - Copy.jpgAndroid - RO Line 2 - Copy.jpg  Android - RO Line 3 - Paste.jpg   Android - RO Line 4 - Paste.jpg 

Android Point - Read Only to Editable

Android - RO Point 1 - Copy.jpg Android - RO Point 2 - Paste.jpg  Android - RO Point 3 - Paste.jpg

iPad - Read Only to Editable & Editable to Editable

iPad - Line - Read Only.jpgiPad - Point - Read Only.jpgiPad - Feature Service.jpg

2 Comments
DanMakridakis

(continued)

Workflow Example

My workflow involves field crews reporting issues and changes to exiting assets by copying the existing asset from the read-only master layer to an editable map change feature service with all the existing attributes copying over to the new asset. From there they can update or change what is needed. Copying the geometry is extremely helpful for lines when only a segment of the lines geometry needs to be updated. It also ensures that the point or line exists in the same place when it's only an attribute update.

Rather than publishing different map change layers that mimic the layer structure of all the utility data, I created a single point and line map change feature that contains all asset types, domains, and fields that exist across all potential assets that will be copied into it. I use conditional visibility (and hopefully contingent values in the future) in field maps to only display the fields that exist for the specific asset type being reported.

For example: "Water Map Changes - Points" has an asset type domain with the all asset sub-type codes from hydrants, valves, reducers, etc. The schema includes all fields across every point feature class in water. When a City Owned Hydrant (type = 201) is copied into the editable layer, then the type, hydrant ID, and all other hydrant fields will auto populate and show, while hiding other fields that only exist in different layers.

I need the types and asset IDs (along with all other attributes) to auto-populate as to remove human error from the process. If the field user is forced to memorize the existing information, this will cause lots of errors, and inevitably result in me having no clue what asset or layer the update was meant for. Additionally, this creates a workflow that is not simple enough for them to bother using. The result is no one reports errors because it's too difficult. Simplicity is the key for getting less tech savvy crews to adopt new things.

All the documentation claim you can copy read-only and editable assets to a different new editable asset, but you can't on iOS. Please try before telling me you can.

DougMorgenthaler
Status changed to: Implemented

In the latest release of Field Maps we've enhanced the copy capabilities in the June 2021 release, as well as squashed a couple of bugs. To take advantage of these new capabilities you'll want to configure the map settings within Field Maps web as outlined in our documentation.