Allow Select Multiple Questions in Field Maps

02-23-2021 01:25 PM
RogerCleaves1
New Contributor III

We would love to be able to implement select multiple type questions in Field Maps. We currently have a use case where field staff need to select multiple types of waste found on a site and record contextual information for each one. 

This is the current design in Survey123, but we would love to migrate this all into one single app instead of using Collector for visibility in the field, and Survey for collecting the data.

Capture.PNG

36 Comments
by Anonymous User

@erica_poisson 

We have existing domain values assigned already and would like to just "check off" a select multiple option to allow for multiple choices to be selected. Similar to the experience when building a Survey123 form in Connect  "on top" of an existing feature layer. 

@KyleLandon 

I think coded value domains would be most fail-safe/elegant. A good way to capture "Other" would be nice. We should be able to have a conditionally visible field to capture it.

So is it okay that the stored value is comma separated and does not match a coded value? For example consider a string field that stores types of fruit with coded values of "Apples", "Oranges", and "Strawberries". If the user selects Apples and Oranges. The resulting value will be "Apples,Oranges" which does not match a coded value. Some people might consider this invalid/bad data. For what it's worth, this what Survey123 does today when using an existing layer.

In the case where the field doesn't have a coded value domain, it doesn't really matter but then the options need to be defined in the form (not in the layer).

erica_poisson

@Anonymous User  - I am so used to the way Survey123 deals with this that it is really not an issue to me anymore as Survey123 is my agencies primary method of field data collection. That being said...anything that can be done to improve the experience in Field Maps would be welcome. I would only wonder for those workflows that might be migrated from Survey123 to Field Maps (if select multiple became available and the stored value method was different from how Survey123 does it), how would the data be affected? It seems content managers would need to do some work to fix things in the table. 

Erwinvan_Veen1

@Anonymous User Thank you for keeping track of this much-requested feature.

Although I understand it strictly may not comply with domains, it is easy to use LIKE '%...%' types of filters to still work well with the data. Either inside or outside of ArcGIS software. When needed, we can easily explode the attribute should that be needed.

Don't get me wrong, although you were asking many relevant questions earlier, it feels a bit odd. For example, how many choices are expected feels like a possible limitation where it shouldn't be one. And whether or not the data is to be able to edit again isn't a question: it is a clear must for me. As an outsider, it would seem similar functions like Javascript string 'split' and 'join' functions should be available and not too different from Survey123. We see Esri developing many different products, apps, et cetara in which some functions are available or work in a certain way but do not appear at all or work differently in others. To me it feels unproffessional to ask end-users to switch apps all the time. Some coherency would me much appreciated. I do understand it is easy for us to ask and not quite as easy to develop. So please, do not take my comment the wrong way.

I sincerely hope this idea is implemented in the foreseeable future.

BrendanFordDC

@Anonymous User 

Also chiming in.   Overall for the project I am working on this would likely keep me from having to also integrate Survey123.  I'll probably still work around it but having this functionality would shorten the time it takes staff to survey an asset. 

• Survey123 implements this as a comma delimited list of values stored in a string field. This can make it difficult to re-use in other areas of ArcGIS. For those of you who use Survey123:
    • Do you show the layers in other apps/maps besides Survey123?
      • Yes - same as Erica we display collected data in Dashboards.
    • Do you use hidden fields & calculations to split the choices into separate fields?
      • No we can query the data using a qualifier.
    • Do you use Arcade in Pop-ups and Dashboards to format the data?
      • Yes some
    • How do you use the captured data for these fields?
  • Would you expect to be able to create a multiple choice element for existing fields?
    • Using Erica's answer: Primarily this would be used to migrate existing (simple) workflows from Survey123 to Field Maps. We have existing domain values assigned already and would like to just "check off" a select multiple option to allow for multiple choices to be selected. Similar to the experience when building a Survey123 form in Connect  "on top" of an existing feature layer. 
    • If so, do those fields have existing coded value domains? Are they string fields or integer fields?
      • String fields.  A small number of available values.
  • Would it be beneficial to have a multiple choice UI/UX that stores each choice in a separate "boolean" field instead of a comma delimited list?
    • Yes. Having the data in their own fields is fine it is more about getting the data on the form in a fast efficient way.  
  • How many choices per question are anticipated?
    • I'll agree with my colleagues that 20 is a decent number.  If you had to go much beyond that the data should probably be broken down into different questions. 
  • Would you need to add or remove choices over time?
    • More likely to add than to remove but would be nice.
    • If so, should that affect previously collected data?
      • No
    • Would you need to deprecate choices over time?
      • Maybe.
  • Would you need to edit an existing choice name/values?
    • Not if we set our questions up right in the beginning.
      • No.  As pointed out this data could be edited in Pro
  • Do the choices needs any additional information displayed with them, like a description? Or is the value/name enough?
    • The value should be enough.
    • If so, can you provide a specific example.

Thanks for considering.  

cbp-geus

This is really a vital option for our organisation and the use of the ArcGIS Field Maps data collection.

We are hoping to use this app for our geologist field work, but we need to be able to select one or more vital information in the field for attributes such as lithology description, mineralogy composition, fossil registration etc from one data point collection.

andreoudi

Survey123 implements this as a comma delimited list of values stored in a string field. This can make it difficult to re-use in other areas of ArcGIS. For those of you who use Survey123:

• Do you show the layers in other apps/maps besides Survey123?
        • Yes - we generally display collected data in Storymaps and Dashboards.
      • Do you use hidden fields & calculations to split the choices into separate fields?
        • We do this if there is a need to present the data in a chart. But we also use the comma delimited data and we present it in popups with the help av arcade.
      • Do you use Arcade in Pop-ups and Dashboards to format the data?
        • Yes
  • Would you expect to be able to create a multiple choice element for existing fields?
        • That would be great but it is not neseccary.
    • If so, do those fields have existing coded value domains? Are they string fields or integer fields?
        • I have only worked with String vaues in survey123 but it should be possible with both.
  • Would it be beneficial to have a multiple choice UI/UX that stores each choice in a separate "boolean" field instead of a comma delimited list?
        • Yes, I think that this would be very nice
  • How many choices per question are anticipated?
        • I personaly haven’t had the need for many choices but  around 10 would be nice
  • Would you need to add or remove choices over time?
        • There is always the possibility that this would be necessary at one point.
        • I don’t think that should affect the previous data.
    • Would you need to deprecate choices over time?
        • Same as above.
  • Would you need to edit an existing choice name/values?
        • You should be able to do this. 
        • You can always edit data in ArcGIS Pro so I don’t hink that this is an issue.
  • Do the choices needs any additional information displayed with them, like a description? Or is the value/name enough?
        • The label would be enough in this case.
SolanaFoo2

Yes PLEASE!!  Arcade has opened up new possibilities for us in Field Maps and we are excited to use it in SmartForms.  Please implement this so we have a fully robust solution there.

HarmondSantos1

@Anonymous User, here's some more answers to the questions you posted. Hope this helps.

We've been using Survey123 a lot with Enterprise, utilising our SDE server to publish services to be used as submission URL. One thing we find lacking here is the ability to edit those select multiple questions. We usually provide a web app with Smart Editor for the people in the office to review or the custom table edit tool and make edits to the submissions of the field workers. People find it easier to edit data in a tabular form or a web app rather than go through the Survey123 form again

• Survey123 implements this as a comma delimited list of values stored in a string field. This can make it difficult to re-use in other areas of ArcGIS. For those of you who use Survey123:
      • Do you show the layers in other apps/maps besides Survey123? Yes, we display them in Dashboards and Web Apps, with the capability to edit/update information.
      • Do you use hidden fields & calculations to split the choices into separate fields? No, we stick with the comma separated values and make it readable using Arcade expressions.
      • Do you use Arcade in Pop-ups and Dashboards to format the data? Yes, we use arcade to make the comma separated values more readable to users.
    • If so, do those fields have existing coded value domains? Are they string fields or integer fields? Not necessary for us - probably something nice to have. With Survey123, I only use strings for select multiple questions.
  • Would it be beneficial to have a multiple choice UI/UX that stores each choice in a separate "boolean" field instead of a comma delimited list? It would be good to have this option - easier to display in dashboards and get more insight to the collected data easily.
  • How many choices per question are anticipated? Project I'm working on now has 15 choices
  • Would you need to add or remove choices over time? Yes, there's always that possibility.
    • If so, should that affect previously collected data? No, don't think it should affect the existing data.
    • Would you need to deprecate choices over time? I don't think so. I think that the choice list would just grow.
  • Would you need to edit an existing choice name/values? Yes
    • If so, should that affect previously collected data? Yes, but as mentioned above, we can always edit the data on ArcGIS Pro
  • Do the choices needs any additional information displayed with them, like a description? Or is the value/name enough? Value/name should be enough
    • If so, can you provide a specific example?
JustinMiller2

@Anonymous User Hi Aaron, is there any update on this? Nearing the end of 2022, and I believe it is still a super important feature for many use cases of FieldMaps. 

Cheers

JenniferEvershed1

@Anonymous User Hi Aaron i'm also keen for any updates on this topic!