Select to view content in your preferred language

Ability to Add Point Automatically with "+"

01-23-2023 02:56 PM
Labels (2)
AdrianaDelucchi
New Contributor III

When collecting features using the mobile app, my workflow would have dramatically improved efficiency if points were automatically added when the "+" button is used. The issue with the current workflow is that I have to click the "+" to add a feature, select the value/values I want to submit, then select "Add Point", and finally select "Submit." You cannot successfully hit "Submit" unless you have previously already selected "Add Point." The point should automatically be added when hitting the "+" button and I should not need to select "Add Point." I would recommend that this should say "Update Point" if you want to move it and the point should automatically be added when selecting the "+."

The current workflow creates extra clicks when I only have seconds to log a point and I am logging thousands of points in a day.

4 Comments
JustinReynolds

The "Add Point" click option only displays if the device's GPS does not provide valid geometry when the "+" is clicked.  Clicking "+" implies collection by GPS as the method of location collection.  If your accuracy doesn't meet the minimum accuracy in the Field Maps settings or you don't have a GPS connected (the case for a generic wifi only iPAD) then you will have to manually drop the point to create a valid geometry as you cannot submit a feature without geometry.

That is to say, it is already true that when you click "+", the point is automatically added.... unless it can't be because of a GPS/Setting issue (i.e. doesn't meet the minimum accuracy you define or you don't have a GPS connected).

I don't have a use case for ArcGIS QuickCapture myself, but this sounds like the text book case that they (ESRI) would try to push you towards it use.

pjdohertygis
Try QuickCapture? We are using it for workflows where every second counts and Field Maps for more robust data collection.
AdrianaDelucchi

Thank you @JustinReynolds I found out the reason why it was not automatically adding the point was because I had the collection settings set to: 

"No changes to the map—When collecting a new feature, the map does not center on your location and no point is added."

You have to choose the "Center the map and add a point at your location" for this to work. However, I find the auto-centering to be cumbersome and take too long. 

AdrianaDelucchi

@pjdohertygis  I have tested QuickCapture as it seems that it was developed for "quick" data collection. However, I need to be able to have more value options of data to collect than QuickCapture allows. It also seems that you can only populate a single attribute with QuickCapture and not multiple attributes, which is necessary for my work.