Update symbology in MMPK in Explorer after Survey sent?

03-26-2019 07:01 AM
StefanHaglund1
Esri Contributor

Hello!

I need anonymous users to update an existing features service from ArcGIS Online through filling out a form. I’ve tried using ArcGIS Explorer and through AppLinks call Survey which works mostly fine.

But what I would like to be able is to do is to have the users map in Explorer update when an asset is visited and form finished. The feature service is symbolized with a unique symbol from the field Visited where the default value of “No” is drawn in red and when visited the user marks it as visited “Yes” in the Survey form and is then drawn in green. You get it

This works in a webmap but I would like to do the same thing on the device. Is there a way to accomplish this? And is there a way to do this while the iser is offline? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Stefan,

Currently you can do this with a web map in Explorer (set a refresh interval for the layer). 

All layers in a Mobile Map Package are currently local to the device and are not connected to the internet.  You would need to update the mobile map package on a routine basis and the user would need to update (download it) to see the change.

Mark

0 Kudos
PaulCone2
Occasional Contributor III

It would be useful if you were able to have an offline basemap with a live editable feature service on top of it.  I don't think this is currently possible.

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul,

Derek Law‌ posted this rundown of Dev Summit 2019 presentations for Field Apps. https://community.esri.com/groups/mobile-gis/blog/2019/04/26/arcgis-field-apps-whats-new-videos

One of them was specific to "Taking your maps offline" at the 33 minute mark ArcGIS Apps: Taking Your Maps Offline - YouTube  The pre-planned offline workflow, which is available in Collector today, is explained and shown.  In a look ahead for Explorer at the 44 minute mark ArcGIS Apps: Taking Your Maps Offline - YouTube  The use of a pre-planned offline map in Explorer is shown.   So, this sort of offline online mix will be showing up for Explorer in the nearer term...

With regard to creating mobile map package that include services... that sounds like a good Idea to me.

Thanks for the comment,

Mark

PaulCone2

Let me explain the use case a bit more.  I have an offline basemap in Explorer that includes a layer of building footprints.  An inspector clicks on a footprint and then gets a link to a Survey123 form.  Then they do the survey.  Later when they are back online, they submit the survey.  Currently with the ONline version of the basemap, I have a script running continuously that updates a live feature service of the building footprints and changes the symbology to red, yellow, or green, depending on what the inspection found.  But if I'm using an offline basemap I can't change the symbology because the layer is not live.  If I could, then the map layer would update and they'd know what buildings they and others on their team have inspected.  Make sense?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

yes, this makes sense...  In the pre-planned workflow your live feature service red, yellow, green building footprints could be another sync enable feature layer in the map.  You could also use a layer definition query so that it does't draw any footprints that do not have status.   Users would still need a connection at some point to synch and see the latest information.  This should work great.

0 Kudos
PaulCone2

Yes, already have a definition query, but the status is based on the inspection in a related table, thus the Python script to update the parent polygon status.

0 Kudos
PaulCone2

Also, at the 26:30 mark you talk about the ability to side load a basemap on iOS.  I guess I always assumed that Explorer supports that?  If not, then when?

(And how do I get into the Explorer for iOS beta?  I don't see it on the Early Adopters site.)

0 Kudos